Strandberg guitar bought - tested - and sent back

If Parker made a 7 string, I would check that out for sure. However, things being as they are, I would probably vote for An 8 string Longfield edition [love that paint]

I’ve played both pretty extensively. The Parker is by far a finer instrument with a much broader pallet of tones to choose from. If you touched one and didn’t hate it right off, you need to find one while you can because you’ll have to pry mine from my cold dead hands.

Nice man, what do those run usually? And do you know of any for sale/trade?

I bought it new for about $3,500 back in 2013.

Woah, they didn't make many of those!

How's it play?

It’s the best playing and sounding 7 string I’ve played. I currently have an Ibanez Universe 7 string and a few 8 string (Strandberg, Skervesen and Ibanez). It’s one of my go-to guitars.

I like to do my own work on my guitars and I'm not especially looking forward to not being able to "work" on a Parker
I do my own work on all my guitars. On my Fly I’ve replaced the electronics: pots, wiring and circuit boards, replaced the jack socket, fitted a 13 pin synth socket, replaced the trem spring with a wood block, and fitted strap locks. If I had to I’d re-glue the frets.

Thanks for the responses so far, all.

I'm in no particular rush and I know it will be a while before I'll be able to actually go anywhere that has a strandberg for me to try. Another thing that has been on my mind is the fact that, most if not all, problems with a Parker requires sending out to a qualified tech. I like to do my own work on my guitars and I'm not especially looking forward to not being able to "work" on a Parker -- not a huge deal, but something I'm weighing in my process.

It seems, though, that everywhere I look, anyone who has ever been a "Parker Guy" remains a "Parker Guy" forever. That's not to say they only play Parkers for the rest of their life nor is it to say that a Parker is always their #1. However, it is saying that, if ever they stray from their Parker, when they do return, it then becomes their #1 again.

So now I have a decision to make, knowing that I've only ever tried a Parker and only for a few minutes:

Option 1 - The "Known" Unknown: Purchase a Parker and be as happy as can be and, one day in the distant future, try a Strandberg. At which point in time, if I realize I may like the Strandberg more, figure out how to obtain one.

Pros:
  1. I have actually played a Parker and know I like it, at least, at first blush.

Cons:
  1. Since there are very few vendors selling used Parkers, I'll likely be using Reverb. This means that the return policy is 7 days max to really put it through its paces. I will also be on the hook for return shipping.
  2. I'll always wonder, until I can try a Standberg, if I made the right decision.

Option 2 - The "Unknown" Unknown: Purchase a NEW Strandberg from a vendor with an amazing return policy (like Sweetwater). Then, either keep it outright, return it and search for a deal on the used market, or return it and continue waiting until I can try a Parker again.

Pros:
  1. I will have ample time to 'try out' the guitar and will be able to return it.

Cons:
  1. I'll always wonder, until I can play a Parker again, if I made the right decision.

Right now, I am leaning towards Option 1, the Parker option -- only because I know the Parker market is in a lull right now, and who knows how that market will shift over the next few years considering there is a fixed supply out there. Whereas, Strandbergs are in their prime and will continue to manufacture and innovate for years to come.

Would love to hear anyone's opinions/thoughts!
I had a 1993 parker fly It was the greatest thing ever. One night on stage I kept hearing the same note on two frets... freaking out. The frets fell off (they had used bad glue), yes the frets are glued on. I sent it back and they opted to send me two parker fly (1994) which never were quite as good. I sold one of them during bad times for 800 bucks (ugggh). Kept one and used it ever since. Love it, and will keep it forever. FF to 2021 I wanted to finally replace my second parker as a backup on stage... well, not so easy i find out. So, I just bought a Strandberg (no trem) Bodin from sweetwater (nver have ordered a guitar on line). And I am taking that one to the grave as well. Love Love Love the neck and the angled frets. Its a toss up now. Its really about the neck and the "fast fingers" I love about the strandberg. so moral of the story, is buy both. I never respond to blog posts, and I am not a fan of fractalaudio (well, I am, but I can't spend the dough when my custom tube pre, an old tube screamer and a couple of eventide H9 have done me so right for so long), but I had to write in on this post. It just hit home and brought back memories of my whole band road years. Band was called Other People, 1986-1995. Now I play with Jamorah (can't list URL apparently)... Anyway, thanks for letting me write this ridiculous run on sentence about 2 strange guitars that no one that comes to hear us play ever know what they are... and now Im getting the dork comments about the headless guitar... but man, I love these things. And a year late on the reply, but there you have it. Over and out.

Back
Top Bottom