Strandberg guitar bought - tested - and sent back

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I'm a long time (1994) Parker user. been through many guitars before and since but always come back to the tried and true best player. Mostly I GAS for "classic" guitars. I'd love to love a Strat or a Les Paul. But the back doesn't allow for that so I keep looking for the guitar that's going to usurp the top spot.

Strandberg looked really good. Light, Ergonomic, beautiful (in a modern, not classic sort of way) and I splurged and bought an upper model. Because of the nagging possibility that this was not "the one" I bought from Guitar Center so I could return it - just in case.

Well, it's all that. Light, ergonomic, beautiful. The tuning stability is awesome. I loved the fanned frets too. Very comfortable and all that.

But after several hours playing it, getting used to the odd neck (which is quite fine after a settle in period of about 20-30 minutes), I picked up my favorite Parker Fly and it was like coming home to your faithful companion.

I don't know what to do. I guess I'm stuck with Parker.

I am not dissing the Strandberg. It's an awesome instrument. And coming from a Les Paul or a Tele, would have been like finding Nirvana. But coming from the Fly, it was ... well ... just not quite there.

To be more specific. I don't like the zero fret. It makes the strings too high near the (non existent) headstock. I also missed a little bit of a higher under-the-arm wood. The edge cut into my arm.

I can't say enough good things about the trem though. Silky smooth and very precise. Same with intonation.

The guitar is light but it felt like it lacked density. Same thing I experienced with some other guitars. Not sure what it's due to. Just a feel.

Anyhow. This was close. I really, really wanted to fall in love with this blind date.

Maybe another time!

Last edited:
I had issues with tuning on my OS6 Trem. Turns out the nut was binding the strings. Local guitar shop cut the nut proper and now the strings, the zero fret everything works great. This was two years ago now.

As far as the corner digging into your arm, you might have tried a Boden Classic - set up like a Strat with HSS and even comes with the Strat upper bout curve for under forearm comfort.

I played the Eric Johnson Thinline Strat the other day. Noticeably lighter than a solid body. Sounded great. Loved it.

I'm a long time (1994) Parker user. been through many guitars before and since but always come back to the tried and true best player. Mostly I GAS for "classic" guitars. I'd love to love a Strat or a Les Paul. But the back doesn't allow for that so I keep looking for the guitar that's going to usurp the top spot.

Strandberg looked really good. Light, Ergonomic, beautiful (in a modern, not classic sort of way) and I splurged and bought an upper model. Because of the nagging possibility that this was not "the one" I bought from Guitar Center so I could return it - just in case.

Well, it's all that. Light, ergonomic, beautiful. The tuning stability is awesome. I loved the fanned frets too. Very comfortable and all that.

But after several hours playing it, getting used to the odd neck (which is quite fine after a settle in period of about 20-30 minutes), I picked up my favorite Parker Fly and it was like coming home to your faithful companion.

I don't know what to do. I guess I'm stuck with Parker.

I am not dissing the Strandberg. It's an awesome instrument. And coming from a Les Paul or a Tele, would have been like finding Nirvana. But coming from the Fly, it was ... well ... just not quite there.

To be more specific. I don't like the zero fret. It makes the strings too high near the (non existent) headstock. I also missed a little bit of a higher under-the-arm wood. The edge cut into my arm.

I can't say enough good things about the trem though. Silky smooth and very precise. Same with intonation.

The guitar is light but it felt like it lacked density. Same thing I experienced with some other guitars. Not sure what it's due to. Just a feel.

Anyhow. This was close. I really, really wanted to fall in love with this blind date.

Maybe another time!

I have a zero nut fret on my Skervesen and it sets the action at a perfect height. It’s just like a regular nut where if it’s too high for taste or too low then it’s a problem.

Ken Parker was way before his time. I have an old fly deluxe pre “refinement” and it incredible. Never broke a string on it, adjusted the neck maybe once in 20 years, frets still look brand new. Plays like a dream. It has its own sound, like most good guitars. It will go with me to the grave.

I bought a Strandberg Boden earlier this year and have a lot of hours on it. I did have to set it up but once I did that, it was a keeper. Love the fanned frets and the Suhr pickups. Very comfortable to play during long worship programs.

@bradlake has all the fun toys, I swear. He and Pedal Dan on TGP have some collection of cool stuff that rivals Cliff's stuff.

tumblr_o18rqr0SgU1rrkahjo2_540.gif

You need to give a Klein-style headless a try, if you haven't already. (see my profile pic). I have 3, and they're the only electrics I have. Sadly, I almost never play electric right now...

I recently dusted off my Steinberger Synapse. Haven't played it in years. Digging it a lot so far. Tuning stability and precision can't be beat. I wonder why Steinbergers never took off. I mean, sure, I look like a dork when playing it, but Strandberg suffers from the same ailment IMO. :lol:

I recently dusted off my Steinberger Synapse. Haven't played it in years. Digging it a lot so far. Tuning stability and precision can't be beat. I wonder why Steinbergers never took off. I mean, sure, I look like a dork when playing it, but Strandberg suffers from the same ailment IMO. :lol:

In. word, Gibson. They bought out and promptly effed the H out of that brand, gutted it and left it for dead.

I recently acquired and 8-stringed strandberg Boden, and totally love this instrument. But there's an issue with the strings/bridge/tuners not being grounded. At high gain amp settings the noise gets "unplayable" loud unless you touch one of the knobs (that are grounded). The pickup switch causes crackling sounds and if you happen to push it down too hard into the bridge pickup position all sound is cut off. Has someone else experienced any of these issues with a strandberg guitar?

I’ve played Parker’s since 97. Every time I try to gig with another guitar , it always ends up as a failed experiment.

The only thing that can keep me from my Fly is my Dragonfly. I just love 22 frets and a single coil.

Someday I’ll find an original Fly with HSS. A few were made.

I recently acquired and 8-stringed strandberg Boden, and totally love this instrument. But there's an issue with the strings/bridge/tuners not being grounded. At high gain amp settings the noise gets "unplayable" loud unless you touch one of the knobs (that are grounded). The pickup switch causes crackling sounds and if you happen to push it down too hard into the bridge pickup position all sound is cut off. Has someone else experienced any of these issues with a strandberg guitar?
Maybe a wire fell off somewhere. I actually bought not one but two different guitars really cheap from Craigslist because their owners didn't bother to check. Of course they were saying there was "nothing wrong" with the guitars, but they sounded like shit when I bought them. In one case it was the ground wire, in another the shield jacket wasn't connected to the output jack. 5 minute fix, hundreds of dollars saved.

Back
Top Bottom