Story time: Directly into FOH and props from soundguy!

ByTheHandOf

Inspired
Hi Guys.

Not quite a discussion, but I just wanna share my experience from this weekend. Played a venue on Friday, where I from past experience know that the sound guy is very capable.
I have been rather nervous regarding my sound after switching to the AXE-fx XL, and my main concern is, that what I hear from the various sources I have used to dial in my tone, won't translate well to different FOH's of the various venues. I have recently purchased a used Atomic Reactor cab, which has done wonders, as it gives a rather good picture of the actual output of the axefx (I hope). Never the less, I am still very conscious of my sound, and well aware that I am much more concerned than I ought to be ;) To dial in as precise a live tone as possible, I have been recording my guitar though a mesa poweramp and speakers as well as a mix of sm57 an a e606 mix, and made a tonematch that I have mixed in with my "programmed" tone. I do this to get an authentic livesound, and the results have been insane! In the rehearsal I have managed to get a good in-the-room sound, but this weekend has proved to me, that it also can replace a mic'ed up amp perfectly in a live situation. I have played many concerts now with the axe, but this weekends gig was the one where I decided to man up, and go directly into the FOH without my trusty poweramp and cabs to push air on stage...

Anyway: When I showed up with my new rig (ie. axefx) and nothing else, the soundguys concerns were rather obvious, but this quickly changed, as my soundcheck took literally 20 seconds.

As I got a lot of great comments on the bands overall sound, and my sound as well (from fellow musicians and producers), I wrote the soundguy to see what he had done to my sound, so that I could maybe tweak my sound even more... Here is his reply:

"Hey. I turned up the volume. That's it" :)

Mission complete!

Maybe it's just me but I read your thread title "probs" as "problems" not as "props" which I think was intended.
Glad it worked out for you in the end.

Maybe it's just me but I read your thread title "probs" as "problems" not as "props" which I think was intended.
Glad it worked out for you in the end.

Same here.
Glad to see another soundguy won over.

Back
Top Bottom