Story concluded: trying out a high-end acoustic

Glad this thread is still going - these stories are great and show that finding an instrument is NOT about a catalogue, spec sheet or price list.

I‘ll go back to the shop next week - retry the two, plus there is another Martin without cutaway or electonics (a 000-42) which I’m going to give a whirl. if I don’t feel it’s right at that point, I know I need to try some other guitars.

Cheers Gilesy

I've said this before here-
I had my heart set on a Taylor 514CE - $3500-3600 guitar- would have to sell an amp or two but it was the time i needed a real acoustic

I had an idea- maybe blind folded I'd like a Martin or Gibson better etc maybe a different taylor

I played 100+ guitars blindfolded at 2 guitar centers

No Martin, No Gibson made the top 10- a $129 Mitchell made the top 10

The 3 best guitars- 110, 210, 114ce - the 3 cheapest taylors
they were solid/consistent and had the sound/tone/direction I was looking for

The 314ce was my alternative- it's solid wood, and not far from the 514-- I had it put into the test 6 times- i rejected it every time

The 110 was perfect- no electronics, no cutaway. Rings like a bell

I tried and bought at least 6 of them- even older USA made ones- I called taylor and they said the mexico factory is 100x better than the low ends out of the USA factory and have the guitar I have now- and it's the best acoustic in the world and I spent $550 instead of $3600

Hi all

Here’s an update on my search for my ultimate acoustic guitar. I went back to the guitar shop again today….was aiming to retry the Taylor 814, the Martin OMC-28e (i.e. cut-away with electronics) and a Martin 000-42 ( slightly shorter scale, no electronics, no cutaway, lots of very glamorous Mother of Pearl inlay).

When I got there, the Martin OMC had been sold a few days previously. While I was waiting for them to bring out the guitars I wanted to reaction, I tried out a different Lowden which was very nice: resonant, playable, comfortable - really very lovely. Still was not sold on the looks.

I tried the Taylor but sadly it felt stiff, undynamic, just the same sound whether played gently or with energy, and the bass was still lacking. A great looking guitar but not the right one for me (at least not at £3,500). I can easily see fit being a brilliant recording guitar because of its very tight and bright sound. It also felt very well finished. Interestingly the neck was a little more meaty than the other two.

I then tried the 000-42. Wow - what a guitar! Great action, easy spacing of strings and frets and, because slightly shorter scale, very comfortable reach for my small hands, beautiful to look at, but best of all: the sound. Rich, bright, tuneful and responsvive to varying touch - across the whole fretboard. It was a dream. Or should I say, now a reality, as I took the plunge. Way more than I ever expected to pay, but I figure this will suit me for the next 30 as my last one did for 25 years..

@OrganicZed - checked the whole fretboard, no dead spots!

@Andy Eagle - your advice on no cutaway or electronics for better tone seemed to hold true in practice.

@Budda , @Rick the Martin tone turned out to be the winner.

Thank you to all for your advice and insights. This place is a great source of experience from those who have travelled similar journeys before.

Pictures attached. Looking forward to getting to know my new friend this weekend.

Have a good one, Gilesy

Attachments

• EB1BC090-CE59-499E-B2E7-D79DB2BC6F19.jpeg
    EB1BC090-CE59-499E-B2E7-D79DB2BC6F19.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 48486A7F-F64C-4DAD-A9BA-206881E03657.jpeg
    48486A7F-F64C-4DAD-A9BA-206881E03657.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 37D69527-CB7A-4637-9405-86544BF62F7A.jpeg
    37D69527-CB7A-4637-9405-86544BF62F7A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • E9309E69-AFFF-43FE-A286-B68255154071.jpeg
    E9309E69-AFFF-43FE-A286-B68255154071.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
Hi all

Here’s an update on my search for my ultimate acoustic guitar. I went back to the guitar shop again today….was aiming to retry the Taylor 814, the Martin OMC-28e (i.e. cut-away with electronics) and a Martin 000-42 ( slightly shorter scale, no electronics, no cutaway, lots of very glamorous Mother of Pearl inlay).

When I got there, the Martin OMC had been sold a few days previously. While I was waiting for them to bring out the guitars I wanted to reaction, I tried out a different Lowden which was very nice: resonant, playable, comfortable - really very lovely. Still was not sold on the looks.

I tried the Taylor but sadly it felt stiff, undynamic, just the same sound whether played gently or with energy, and the bass was still lacking. A great looking guitar but not the right one for me (at least not at £3,500). I can easily see fit being a brilliant recording guitar because of its very tight and bright sound. It also felt very well finished. Interestingly the neck was a little more meaty than the other two.

I then tried the 000-42. Wow - what a guitar! Great action, easy spacing of strings and frets and, because slightly shorter scale, very comfortable reach for my small hands, beautiful to look at, but best of all: the sound. Rich, bright, tuneful and responsvive to varying touch - across the whole fretboard. It was a dream. Or should I say, now a reality, as I took the plunge. Way more than I ever expected to pay, but I figure this will suit me for the next 30 as my last one did for 25 years..

@OrganicZed - checked the whole fretboard, no dead spots!

@Andy Eagle - your advice on no cutaway or electronics for better tone seemed to hold true in practice.

@Budda , @Rick the Martin tone turned out to be the winner.

Thank you to all for your advice and insights. This place is a great source of experience from those who have travelled similar journeys before.

Pictures attached. Looking forward to getting to know my new friend this weekend.

Have a good one, Gilesy
Guitar for a lifetime. Congrats. You won't regret it. I suggest being vigilant on humidification and temperature range. Even with that, don't be surprised if things shift a tiny bit as it settles in. If you think it sounds great now, play it every day for 10 years, and when you leave the house put it by a cranked up stereo so it can vibrate while you're gone. That'll speed up the process. The sound will just get bigger and sweeter over time.

I’m happy for you, my friend. That’s a beautiful guitar. You know, I tried not to like the Martin at first. It was so damn traditional, and I thought I needed something more modern. But in the end, it just sounded the best. Every time. So I followed my ears, and in every musical situation I’ve used it in it has rewarded that decision. A few years in now, and no regrets at all.

May your experience be every bit as fulfilling as mine!

Guitar for a lifetime. Congrats. You won't regret it. I suggest being vigilant on humidification and temperature range. Even with that, don't be surprised if things shift a tiny bit as it settles in. If you think it sounds great now, play it every day for 10 years, and when you leave the house put it by a cranked up stereo so it can vibrate while you're gone. That'll speed up the process. The sound will just get bigger and sweeter over time.
I’m happy for you, my friend. That’s a beautiful guitar. You know, I tried not to like the Martin at first. It was so damn traditional, and I thought I needed something more modern. But in the end, it just sounded the best. Every time. So I followed my ears, and in every musical situation I’ve used it in it has rewarded that decision. A few years in now, and no regrets at all.

May your experience be every bit as fulfilling as mine!
@solo-act @Rick kind words from both of you - I am very excited as I feel this now requires me to improve my playing to match its quality, which feels like a good motivation.

Plenty of playing already today and it feels like it was made for me, which seems to resonate with a number of others’ observations about finding the ‘right example’.

take care all
Gilesy

Back
Top Bottom