stopped transmitting

DTownSMR

Inspired
Hi all, I've run into an odd situation I hope someone else has already stumbled upon and figured out a solution...

A couple of months ago MFC-Edit stopped transmitting after a year+ of doing fine. As far as I recall I hadn't updated anything. The MFC-Edit progress window says that it's sending, the LED on my MIDI interface is blinking but the MFC just stays on "Waiting to load...". I didn't really have the time to chase it down and have just been hand editing for a the past couple of months. Since I haven't updated either MFC-Edit, MFC-101, Axe-Edit and/or Axe-Fx firmware for an even longer time today I made sure I had the latest of everything. Still no go.

It's odd that it never gets off "Waiting to load...". When I was first getting things sync'd up it would at least move off of that initial display and let me know it got something. I'm guessing that either I've got something configured fubar in either the MFC or MFC-Edit or perhaps some saved configuration/ option is set incorrectly.

btw, Fractal bot is working. I've been able to backup, reload the firmware, and send a SysEx file saved from MFC-Edit. So I have a work around but would really like to not have that extra step of firing up the Fractal Bot.

Thanks in advance.

First mention of this I've heard. That's very strange indeed, especially since the LED on your MIDI interface indicates that it is receiving the data. It almost sounds like the transmission is too fast. Slow down the transmission by clicking the Manual Delay Override on the transmission window and slowing it down just a little. Can you receive a dump from the MFC-101 with MFC-Edit?
One way to determine if the transmission is too fast is if MFC-Edit completes the transmission in less than 55 seconds. Compare the time that MFC-Edit takes to transmit to the time Fractal Bot takes. If MFC-Edit is quicker, slow it down.

If that fails, you should probably open a support ticket and copy/paste the Info/Errors window contents so I can see the MFC-Edit, OS and Java versions. Also I'd like to know about your USB/MIDI interface.

OK, it was definitely data related. There must have been something in the file that was hosed.

I was able to receive a file (saved according to my naming convention and over writing my previous) made some modifications and was able to send it successfully.

OK, it was definitely data related. There must have been something in the file that was hosed.

I was able to receive a file (saved according to my naming convention and over writing my previous) made some modifications and was able to send it successfully.
Thanks for the update. Hmm... If you still have the "hosed" file could you send it to me please? I'd like to take a look at it.
Thanks
-G

Here's a previous version from a month ago.

Attachments

• smr_2016-02-21_AXE-Q1.05_MFC-fw3_7.syx
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks a ton. I'll take a look.
Thanks DTownSMR - I took a look at your sysex dump and found that the file you sent is from an MFC-101 Mark I/II and firmware version 3.7 (aka 3.07) - but the MIDI port was set to FASLINK. Of course, the Mark I/II doesn't have a FASLINK port so that is an error. This would suggest to me that the dump originated on a Mark III and was downgraded to a Mark I/II (File->Save As Mark I/II) . Notwithstanding, I have added logic to detect that upon loading such a file into the editor and make the correction automatically. The correction will be noted in the "Information, Errors and Debug" window off the Help menu. Look for a new build to be uploaded, probably tonight.
Thanks for your help tracking this down.
-G

Thanks DTownSMR - I took a look at your sysex dump and found that the file you sent is from an MFC-101 Mark I/II and firmware version 3.7 (aka 3.07) - but the MIDI port was set to FASLINK. Of course, the Mark I/II doesn't have a FASLINK port so that is an error. This would suggest to me that the dump originated on a Mark III and was downgraded to a Mark I/II (File->Save As Mark I/II) .
-G

ahhh yes, I mucked around a bit with that because Fractal Bot objected to the file but once I saved it as a I/II (which in my haste I actually misread) it sent it OK.

ahhh yes, I mucked around a bit with that because Fractal Bot objected to the file but once I saved it as a I/II (which in my haste I actually misread) it sent it OK.
Whew! At least now we have an explanation and I can sleep tonight :)
Thanks again.

Look for a new build to be uploaded, probably tonight.
Thanks for your help tracking this down.

Is there a way to sneak you into FAS and put in charge of MFC firmware development? ;)

I'm willing to make a contribution if someone needs to be bribed or something.

Back
Top Bottom