Stock Presets too bassy?

Rich G.

Experienced
I've had my AX8 for a few months now and finally had time to sit with it last night. I went through many of the stock presets and found them to be way too bassy. My setup was simple- Guitar>AX8>QSC K10's.

When switching to a new preset I found myself making three quick changes:
1. Set Bass to 2 - 3
2. Turn Cut ON
3. Set Low Cut in Cab block to 100 Hz.

These three simple changes would get me in the ballpark of a usable live sound.

Anyone else encounter this?

If your K10 (or almost any PA speaker) is sitting upright in a bedroom, you are likely getting a huge bass boost simply due to the the design and the size and acoustical properties of your room. I would advise either getting it on a stand or using it as a wedge (if it offers that option, not familiar with it) before going through and making a ton of adjustments to presets and then following that up with listening either outside or in a larger space. If you're not gigging, I'd advise getting rid of the K10 entirely and spend the money on the best near field monitors you can afford.

I high pass every patch in my AX8 @80hz (along with a low pass @8000khz). Like you, I also almost always keep the bass cut on and the bass control under 5. It may just be your preference to have a brighter/tighter sound. That's my preference. I never like to hear any kind of "woof" in the tone if that makes sense. And like Will said, a lot of it has to do with your monitor sitting on the floor. I also have a 10" monitor and I keep it in the wedge position with the onboard low-cut switch active. Even a 10" full range monitor can put out a ridiculous amount of low end for a guitarist so I try to dial it out. There's really nothing down below 80-100hz that you need anyway. Especially if you're playing with a bassist.

I've had my AX8 for a few months now and finally had time to sit with it last night. I went through many of the stock presets and found them to be way too bassy. My setup was simple- Guitar>AX8>QSC K10's.

When switching to a new preset I found myself making three quick changes:
1. Set Bass to 2 - 3
2. Turn Cut ON
3. Set Low Cut in Cab block to 100 Hz.

These three simple changes would get me in the ballpark of a usable live sound.

Anyone else encounter this?

Any stock presets with any amount of dirt in it all sounded really bassy and muddy to me. I never even kept using stock presets yet. I've mainly just been building and messing around.

I was a bit surprised by the stock presets. It's the first time where someone had done the presets for me....out of the box. A few companies have ok presets, that I like, most not so. Many variables.

Last edited:
I thought I hit paydirt a few times by just starting from scratch.

I'm using in ears at the moment, which seem to be a little fiddly.

Back
Top Bottom