Stock IR mic positions?

pharmd07

Experienced
Does anyone know what mic position was used for the stock IRs? I guess it really doesn't matter, but I was just curious.

Given the range of them - some are from Jay, etc - it's hard to say with any exact precision. Some of them are very close, like the German 412, you can tell from the proximity effect - lots of bass. Others, like the Boutique 212 sound really toppy... so it's impossible to really know.

Given the range of them - some are from Jay, etc - it's hard to say with any exact precision. Some of them are very close, like the German 412, you can tell from the proximity effect - lots of bass. Others, like the Boutique 212 sound really toppy... so it's impossible to really know.

Yeah, I noticed that there is a ton of proximity effect on a lot of those stock cabs. I switched over to using redwirez IRs almost immediately after getting my Axe a few months ago and I haven't messed with the stock IRs that much.

On a side note...before I got my Axe Fx, I used to record using an isolation cabinet with a Vintage 30 loaded in it and an SM57 and e609 Silver. I would get extremely pronounced proximity effect, but I found I could dial it out by cutting heavily below 100 Hz, cutting 3-6 dB at 250 Hz, and boosting about 3 dB in the 1-5 kHz range. Maybe I should try that with some of the stock cabs.

Yeah, I noticed that there is a ton of proximity effect on a lot of those stock cabs. I switched over to using redwirez IRs almost immediately after getting my Axe a few months ago and I haven't messed with the stock IRs that much.

On a side note...before I got my Axe Fx, I used to record using an isolation cabinet with a Vintage 30 loaded in it and an SM57 and e609 Silver. I would get extremely pronounced proximity effect, but I found I could dial it out by cutting heavily below 100 Hz, cutting 3-6 dB at 250 Hz, and boosting about 3 dB in the 1-5 kHz range. Maybe I should try that with some of the stock cabs.

You'll find it is most helpful.

A very powerful tool is the low-cut and high-cut in the amp block too. Do not overlook it (on the "Advanced Page" in the editor).

I definitely need to spend more time with the advanced settings and the stock IRs. Initially I thought I would just buy all the Redwirez cabs and just use them. However, I don't like the fact that I can't see what cabs I have loaded in the user slots, and it's a pain to navigate through the insane number of IRs. So until that process is more streamlined and user friendly, I thought I would revisit the stock IRs and experiment with eq settings to get the sound I want.

Back
Top Bottom