stock cabs freq. response curves

thx, knoll, for your work (and rework) on this :D

I'm happy to leave the different blocking filters as a mystery for now.

knoll said:
Say drosei, could you do the same for the mic sims?

Here you go!
2lt5xv.jpg

4kzhpw.jpg

29kypzc.jpg

op8ns.jpg

33ym9s3.jpg

qrj29e.jpg

rmv02g.jpg

8zeb6x.jpg

116q74i.jpg

qoj6eu.jpg

Scott Peterson said:
I would be fascinated to see what the PEQ block does after the cab to the curves. Not a request (I know you aren't here doing anything for our amusement) but it'd be exceptionally interesting to me to look at.

PEQ block - band 1, blocking, 120hz @ .707Q and band 5, blocking, 7110hz @ .707Q.

Here is my take for comparison:

2zfvbwn.jpg

11wgc3r.jpg

drosei said:
knoll said:

Here you go!
Thanks. I actually did the same measurements but didn't have time to post :(

What was your measurement technique, and signal chain? Did you use the Full Range IR provided by Jay?

knoll said:
drosei said:
knoll said:

Here you go!
Thanks. I actually did the same measurements but didn't have time to post :(

What was your measurement technique, and signal chain? Did you use the Full Range IR provided by Jay?

Well ,I made my own impulse with wavelab's signal generator set to square. Then I zeroed all the samples except for the first one leaving me with the 1st sample at 0dBFS and the rest 4095 at 0 .Voila! text book dirac impulse!

My chain is WinMLS->motu Ultralite III SPDIF out-> AXE-FX SPDIF in -> Cab module-> AXE SPDIF OUT->motu SPDIF in ->winMLS

WinMLS uses log sine sweep to make it's impluse response measurment. I verified my setup by setting the mic to "none" and getting a flat response although the In->Out was not unity gain but this probably due to a mono/ stereo thing.

Boy am I glad to ran across these, many thanks to the OP for this great work, it really SHOULD be on the Wiki so folks designing amp sounds/tones can understand the absolute critical importance of EQ (aside from AMP basic EQ) that Cabs and Mics do before a user goes down "rabbit holes" using Graphic, PEQ, or Global stuff attempting to compensate -- this is very very useful, many thanks!

Just stumbled across this thread by accident, whilst searching for something else – fantastic information, very useful indeed.

How do we Wiki-ise it?

EDIT : I've just noticed it's stickied... I'm such a muppet for not spotting this before.

Last edited:
I have a basic question, why does the IR of the cab played through FRFR seem to have more highs and lows than the cab itself?

It would seem to me the IR would not need to be eq'd to roll off highs and lows since the IR represents the cab/speaker which already "filtered" the sound.

Why???

I have a basic question, why does the IR of the cab played through FRFR seem to have more highs and lows than the cab itself?

It would seem to me the IR would not need to be eq'd to roll off highs and lows since the IR represents the cab/speaker which already "filtered" the sound.

Why???

Instead of comparing the IR through FRFR to the cab itself you should be comparing the IR through FRFR to the miced cab through FRFR.

Yeah, I posted over on TGP also, it was explained the way the IR is captured makes the difference.

So I guess that means if the IR capture mic were in the same position as the persons ears then the sound of the IR through FRFR would be very similar to the sound the persons ear heard from the original cab/speaker at that location. It makes sense to me now.

Yeah, I posted over on TGP also, it was explained the way the IR is captured makes the difference.

So I guess that means if the IR capture mic were in the same position as the persons ears then the sound of the IR through FRFR would be very similar to the sound the persons ear heard from the original cab/speaker at that location. It makes sense to me now.

How a mic listens to a 4x12 at 5 feet from the cabinet ( or even worse 2" from cone cap) is very very different to how the ear listens to a 4x12 at 5 feet from the cabinet.
Trying to match the 2 actually involves 70 years of science and 40 years of Art.

We are still not there yet...but it doesn't matter because we have to treat the AXE-FX + Impulse +FRFR as a different instrument than AXE-FX+amp+Cab.

I always like to think that if I went back with a time machine and gave an AXE-FX to Hendrix back in 1969 he simply wouldn't bother with plexi's, octavias,univibes and the lot....:)

Back
Top Bottom