STL Tones Axe-Fx Packs?

Do you really even own these presets? I already did what you're asking with FW13 and once again after that. What are you guys doing wrong? You need to tune new variables accordingly that get introduced with new FW packs to accommodate your sound, just like with speaker impedance etc a bunch of revs back.

With the immense wealth of everything we have available to tweak in the AXF3, if it sounds like crap it's your fault. I don't buy stuff to get infinite updates and be hand-held in perpetuity.
Yeah i do. Would you like me to attach the receipts and email chains with them so you have proof I'm telling the truth? Nah. I really don't care what you think. There are plenty of others on here mentioning the same thing. Do you work for stl or are you just an unpaid shill? Just curious.

Neither. But you sound quite butthurt for someone who doesn't care about my opinion. I'm saying there's an exploration process and tweaking to be done with any pack you buy from anyone aftermarket to suit your own tastes, your FRFR or cab environment, etc. The very first thing I do with any paid-for preset is find a cab that works with it, then dial the cab impedance to taste in order to match the reality of my environment (AFX3->Fryette PS2->Mesa 2x12 w/ Celestion F12-x200s). I borrow the best from every preset - amps, cab, compressors, reverbs, delays, pitch shifters etc. A few of the STL Lasse Lammert cabs have given me a superior foundation to tweak from over the stock firmware stuff IMHO. I can't be the only one doing this - I just want shit that sounds good as a starting frame of reference to create my own tone. I don't expect other's presets to sound 100% identical on my rig. I just want to be steered in the right direction.

Price is an undeniable element to satisfaction here. If you actually pay full price for this stuff it's not my fault. I only buy aftermarket presets on Black Friday & Christmas firesales every year. Learned that with the Kemper I sold for the AFX3 back in the day.

To be even more clear, in order:
Pick aftermarket preset
Pick a cab you like from where ever
Select cab impedance from there - whatever feels most "alive" and dynamic to you - you'll be surprised what works best
Dial in bass/mid/treble on the amp block
get your noise gate right
tweak other effects, like a drive block or multi-comp to cut flub, etc.
ENJOY!

Last edited:
Reflecting on this a little more, because I want to help folks get this right. I think the cab impedance is what most aftermarket presets screw up the most. It has a HUGE impact on tone. To me it feels like an EQ just curve just for your speakers. 90% of the time, whether it's a factory preset or aftermarket, I seriously want to change the cab impedance just to get a grasp on things. Aftermarket does truly get that more wrong than right IMHO, but then again we're tailoring things for our own rigs so TBH it's expected.

Last edited:
Just purchased the "Romesh Dodangoda Axe Fx Pack V1.0" for a FM3. Everything loads fine however the as Ola Englund says "it sounds like a**".

Presets sound distorted as if a parameter is mismatched some were. I'm thinking the AUDIO EXAMPLES on the web site are actually Kemper, not Axe FX. Is it also possible the IRs are corrupt? Something's not right, how hard is it to screw up a preset?

Back
Top Bottom