still trying to replicate el capistan / tape modulated delay

jzucker

Experienced
I have a patch that sounds nice but in order to get the modulation high enough in the mix, I have to set the delay too high in the mix. Can I get the modulation mixed more wet than the delay?

I want to be able to use this on AX8 so I hope the answer is not multiple delays...

If you're running in parallel fully wet, you could always toss something like a phaser after the delay, also parallel?

One thing I really love about the tape delays is the motor speed. Not the same as modulation, but you can get some really cool colors out of that for similar purposes. Try setting it to an lfo or asdr modifier with juuuust a little movement (adjust that with the motor drive modifier slope).

If you're running in parallel fully wet, you could always toss something like a phaser after the delay, also parallel?

One thing I really love about the tape delays is the motor speed. Not the same as modulation, but you can get some really cool colors out of that for similar purposes. Try setting it to an lfo or asdr modifier with juuuust a little movement (adjust that with the motor drive modifier slope).

i have done that. Sounds delicious except that the mix needs to be turned up to the point where the delay line is actually distracting.

The delay time gets modulated by the LFO causing the wet signal to pitch bend up and down. This mixed with the dry signal causes the chorusing effect you hear. At 50% mix, you'll get the most intense chorus sound. As the mix goes up from there you hear more of the pitch bend (vibrato) and less chorus. If you have the delay mix very low, you won't hear much chorusing from the delay and you'll have to use a chorus block instead.

The delay time gets modulated by the LFO causing the wet signal to pitch bend up and down. This mixed with the dry signal causes the chorusing effect you hear. At 50% mix, you'll get the most intense chorus sound. As the mix goes up from there you hear more of the pitch bend (vibrato) and less chorus. If you have the delay mix very low, you won't hear much chorusing from the delay and you'll have to use a chorus block instead.

is there a way to get a chorus block to sound like the mod section in the tape delay?

There's a tape mode in the chorus block. Are you trying to get distinct repeats, the chorus sound, or both?

The strymon example uses a fairly high mix and feedback which will intensify the chorus swirl as well. The Fulltone one is much more subtle. Neither one has a whole lot of modulation going on. Beyond that, it's mostly EQ filtering of the wet signal to get the right decay tone and a tiny bit of diffusion for some reverb like space at the end. Higher LFO depth settings will cause more pitch bend in the wet signal as well but too high will make it sound overly warbly.

i have a good setting with the tape delay but the only problem is that to get enough "wetness" i have to up the delay mix and then I get too much delay. Here're the settings...can I get a tape mode chorus to sound similar? At least then I can control the mod and delay mix

upload_2016-6-1_11-36-58.png

upload_2016-6-1_11-36-39.png

upload_2016-6-1_11-36-28.png

and I tried creating a tape mode chorus block with the same mod settings as the tape mod section but it sounds phasey and I get a cheezy doubling sound like a bad '70s chorus.

Maybe try the Multi-Delay Plex-Detune
There's a lot of parameters you can control in there & 4 delays. I think from that first vid you shared ya might have some luck trying this.

Run it in parallel with mix at 100%
Then set two of the delays for the same delay time then set one for the first amount of repeats level you want and the second for more repeats & then play with the mix.
Also, you can try setting the delay times of two delays with one as double the value so it's first repeat starts later and therefore is louder.
1/4 note 1/2 note or by milliseconds.

There's all sorts of ways to mix the 4 delays within this both volume and time wise & it has chorusy & diffusion/reverb effects as well you can mix in and tweak.

Last edited:
Bump
Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck getting that wobbly, random tape speed thing that the Timeline and El Cap do so well... Had to sell my Timeline to fund my AX8 and that is probably the one thing I miss the most from my old rig - the dTape model on the Timeline and the various flavours of trem in the Mobius (tube trem, harmonic trem)... :cry:

Back
Top Bottom