Still trying for that Frank Zappa “Black Napkins” tone

which of the 15+ versions released over the years? the original Zoot Allures one probly had some systech harmonic energiser (available nowadays as Triskelion) for that cocked wah sound, not sure how to do it in the box other than messing with WAH blk or perhaps a filter, maybe fellow Zappaphile and preset maven @austinbuddy has a clue..

which of the 15+ versions released over the years? the original Zoot Allures one probly had some systech harmonic energiser (available nowadays as Triskelion) for that cocked wah sound, not sure how to do it in the box other than messing with WAH blk or perhaps a filter, maybe fellow Zappaphile and preset maven @austinbuddy has a clue..

Thanks Bradlake, Yeah I realize he used out of this world custom stuff that will probably never be duplicated by anyone except Dweezil.

For the opening guitar,you can hear the room in that sound. A lot of it. Big , bright and loud. Got fairly close with the Tucana II, 4x12 creambacks, large tiled room verb at 20%. EQ adjustments will vary with your guitar and rig. I left the amp eq's at noon, dialed back high treble -2 db.Presence at 3.2. Input drive at 7, drive at 7.(I'm using paf style pups. low output)Give it a go, might work for you, might not.

Last edited:
For the opening guitar,you can hear the room in that sound. A lot of it. Big , bright and loud. Got fairly close with the Tucana II, 4x12 creambacks, large tiled room verb at 20%. EQ adjustments will vary with your guitar and rig. I left the amp eq's at noon, dialed back high treble -2 db.Presence at 3.2. Input drive at 7, drive at 7.(I'm using paf style pups. low output)Give it a go, might work for you, might not.
Thanks Dude, will try...

I am also constantly trying to tune in those iconic Zappa tones. For the cocked wah like in Pojama People or Black Napkins (Zoot Allures Version) I can recommend this pedal:
https://www.ehx.com/products/cock-fight
The great thing about this pedal is that the sound doesn't get too thin because you have a so called "Bottom" Controll, but still I would love to be able to replicate those sounds without any external pedal. The only exception being the Digitech Freqout. So did you find settings that work for those Zappa Cocked Wah Sounds and would you like to share those as a preset?

Thanks Dude, will try...
Don't know how close you got but I know a reasonably priced pedal made specifically for Zappa's very distinct dynamic flanger and phaser tones is the Keeley Bubble-Tron. It is absolutely amazing and it gives you a good amount of variety with the phase, flange, and envelope filter tones Frank got through the years.

Don't know how close you got but I know a reasonably priced pedal made specifically for Zappa's very distinct dynamic flanger and phaser tones is the Keeley Bubble-Tron. It is absolutely amazing and it gives you a good amount of variety with the phase, flange, and envelope filter tones Frank got through the years.
Yup, that’s the one.

Mike Douglas version. Can anybody see what the switch position is on the SG. Also, anybody know what amp he is plugged into.

Back
Top Bottom