Still Searching-Home Studio VOCAL mic :-(

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Yes I am still looking.
Anyone have thoughts about these 3 mics-The price is important, shouldn't be but TBH the Warm Audio mics are just too heavy(as in actual weight) for my little home studio the way I have it setup. Also 50% more $$$$.
Anyway, if you feel like voicing an opinion it would help. Thanks. These seem to get good reviews most places I looked.

Audio-Technica AT4050 Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone $699

Rode K2 Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Microphone $699.

Shure KSM32 Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone – Champagne $649. Black $599.

Also an Audix OM7 and a Stellar CM5. The CM5 is a large D tube Condenser mic. Sounds OK but I want better. Was $399 over a decade ago.

Nope. I returned it. I didn't like it on my vocals. I do have an SM58beta and a 57. :)

What didn't you like about it? Too dark, too sibilant, etc?

The SM7B works well for me, usually, but if I want something a little brighter or intimate (also excellent for acoustic guitar) I've got a Neumann TLM102, same price range you're up against there. That little Neumann kicks ass. I used the Neumann for many of my own vocal tracks before getting the 7B and it was excellent, the 7B just does a few things naturally that I ended up doing in post with the TLM102. You will probably want the shock mount and a pop filter with the Neumann.

I know a few people who swear by the KSM32 but there's too much overlap on my TLM102 to justify having both. I'd have to be looking in the $1k+ range to make a mic purchase notably better than what I've already got (in the large diaphragm category). The TLM102 can also take some pretty decent sound levels to use as a near mic for a drum set or guitar cab etc.

If I’m not mistaken, aren’t the 7B and 58 similar in frequency response? What exactly didn’t you like?
The 58beta is NOT for recording. SM7B Just didn't suit me, especially for what I am use to. It's only for me btw. I know it's an OK mic. Large Diaphragm Condenser mics fit me well. I can only go by what I feel (hear) when I sing and when I listen back to a recording. The CM5 used to be nice. It's been dropped a few times (yes I know) Not sure if thats the issue but it just doesn't sound good to me anymore. Of course I am older now, so who knows.
But I do know what I like.

Last edited:
The Audio Technica 4033 is one that I like on vocals more than the 4050 than the KSM or the Rode.

The used AKG-414 XLS can sometimes be found in the price range and is a stellar vocal mic for the money.

Neumann TLM 102?
I am looking into that one. I was really sold on the Warm Audio WA-47 when it was $799 and before I found out how heavy it was.
From warm audio CS: Thank you for contacting us here at Warm Audio! The weight of the mic itself is about 2-3LBs.
I use the Rode Microphones PSA1+ Professional Studio Boom Arm on my desktop which soon will bean adjustable desktop (uplift probably) and the Stellar CM5
is half the weight of the WA-47 and it gives the boom some trouble. I like the arm though-make recording and playing guitar easy for me.
Ok why is this look bold? It's not. Font type I guess?

I have one of the Rode NT1A kits, which is surprisingly good at the price. Though I haven’t personally recorded with a K2, a friend who owns a small studio and has a great ear recommends it very highly, saying it’s one of the best sounding vocal mics out and commensurate with those several times it’s price. Were I in the market, I’d try it.

My fave is a Bock Audio LC called an iFet. I’m not sure it’ll be available any longer with Bock being taken in under the Universal Audio brand. Might be a bit out of your budget in any case, but it is a very versatile mic that was recommended to me by a senior VP at Sweetwater, and he (as you might expect) knew his mics!

Check this page to burn through a few hours comparing 50 vocal mics:

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/

I have one of the Rode NT1A kits, which is surprisingly good at the price. Though I haven’t personally recorded with a K2, a friend who owns a small studio and has a great ear recommends it very highly, saying it’s one of the best sounding vocal mics out and commensurate with those several times it’s price. Were I in the market, I’d try it.

My fave is a Bock Audio LC called an iFet. I’m not sure it’ll be available any longer with Bock being taken in under the Universal Audio brand. Might be a bit out of your budget in any case, but it is a very versatile mic that was recommended to me by a senior VP at Sweetwater, and he (as you might expect) knew his mics!

Check this page to burn through a few hours comparing 50 vocal mics:

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/
Thanks for the link Rick-very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom