Still looking for that perfect FAT Robin Trower Univibe sound

You're exactly right, the Bulb Bias parameter is key. It's difficult to describe in words what it's doing, but if you mess around with it you'll hear right away the effect it has. That in combination with proper gain staging is key. It's amazing how much increasing the output levels at each stage (vibe-> drive -> amp) can change the character of the overall effect.

It's been a while since I messed with the vibe parameters, but I remember the Bulb Bias parameter being the key to getting close to the fat univibe tone that all vibe lovers are looking for. At least that's what I found back when I still had a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe to do a direct comparison. I only bring it up because I have not seen anyone mention that parameter in this thread and I have not downloaded mrstrat's preset yet. There was still something about the Mojo Vibe that added a "creaminess" to the tone that the Fractal Vibe alone could not capture, but that could probably be achieved by other means.

I'll definitely download the preset and give it a spin. Thanks for posting it!

Mr strat very nice
I just posted up the one I had as well, it's geared more for the Day of the Eagle "jammy" stuff than bridge of sighs
less delay and a bit less Univibe. Mine uses the plexi 50 and the TV cab.
Axe-Change - Download Preset - JKV Trower - by kmanick

Thanks for posting this. Your patch sounds great! That whole album is just killer. Fool and Me is probably my favorite tune. I saw an interview with Trower where he said that he mostly uses the middle and neck position pickups, rarely, if ever uses the bridge position, obviously another key to getting his tone.

Cool!
I love old Trower, I wish I could find a backing track to "Extermination blues"
I used to jam to that shit endlessly ...."back in the day" LOL!

Used MrStrat's patch yesterday in the studio. Sounded amazing with my strat, and then, surprise, surprise, sounded really incredible with my P-90 equipped Epiphone WildKat. Great job MrStrat!

I'm really glad you guys are finding the patch useful. Makes those hours of tweaking all worth it! :encouragement:

I forgot to mention! We had Finnish slide guitar wunderkind Artur Oronen in for some overdubs. he plugged his 8 string lap steel into my rig, with your patch, and we took the vibe off of it, and he played a SEARING solo with it! He was KNOCKED OUT by the tone! As soon as the song is done and mastered, I'll share it with y'all.

I forgot to mention! We had Finnish slide guitar wunderkind Artur Oronen in for some overdubs. he plugged his 8 string lap steel into my rig, with your patch, and we took the vibe off of it, and he played a SEARING solo with it! He was KNOCKED OUT by the tone! As soon as the song is done and mastered, I'll share it with y'all.

Can't wait to hear it!

mrstrat thank you for the Trower patches. I have been playing for hours now and my fingers are falling off but hey...it sounds so good...like the crack of sound!

Other than the Effectrode Tube Vibe (which I used to own, but of course, uses tubes...), the Dry Bell just really seems to nail it.

I've never used the Fulltone De-ja.

No, i've owned the drybell and it does not nail the vintage univibe sound and feel. It's a great and versatile pedal though.

so far, I like the phaser / univibe block a lot but in a mix it sounds more like a phase shifter than a univibe

The blocks in this thread are really good... but you are correct... it's like the vintage mutron, a vintage univibe brings something maybe unpredictable? to the table that is hard to exactly replicate.

My favorite Univibe is the Effectrode Tube-Vibe. Of course, all the Effectrode pedals I've ever played are awesome.

Absolutely. Log instead of sine is one of the keys. That, and lower the bias for more throb.

I do still struggle to get it to the point of just flat-out "overpowering" the tone. I feel the same way about other effects once in a while, but overall, I'm pretty satisfied.

Bulb bias is key. It's a critical part of the real univibe circuit. The 4 phase stages are modulated by light dependent resistors (LDR's) and a small incandescent light bulb under a reflective metal shield. The filament in the incandescent bulb heats up faster than it cools down as the power cycles through it, so the LFO's sine wave output through the bulb gets skewed, giving the Univibe it's characteristic uneven, lumpy phase cycle. You end up with sort of a cross between a sine wave and a ramp down wave. Lower bulb bias settings will intensify the uneven, lumpy quality. I like it at around 2.5 depending on the depth setting. Also, setting the mix value to just above 50% add just a touch of pitch bend warble to the tone, making it sound even more over the top. Setting Mix to 100% matches the vibrato mode on the original.

For "Bridge of Sighs" I start with default Phaser block settings on the Classic Vibe mode in front of the Amp block (1959SLP Treble). For rate, roughly 1/4 note of song tempo, depth at 5, feedback at 5, bulb bias at 2.5, mix at 53%. Adjust to taste.

I believe Robin uses the middle Strat pickup for the main rhythm part and switches around for some of the leads. Strat into a wah, fuzz, and univibe into a Plexi style amp. Basically a Hendrix style rig.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom