Still looking for that perfect FAT Robin Trower Univibe sound

Well, it seems you have a passion for this unique tone, as I have had. I cant help with the stereo, but maybe with the tone/chain.

I have a fine patch on my Ultra (went at it w/ my Axe II, but realized I had it dialed in well on my gen. 1 unit). One secret: Rotary!
Why the rotary? Listen to it, and think what it does.

Here is my chain, in series:
Phaser (vibe) > Rotary (@ 13%mix) > AMP Plexi 1 > CAB 2x12 black > Pitch (detune + - 7.1%) > Delay mono 1/4 notes

I would forget using reverb, since it can fog things up. Try the above, and tweak as needed. Please post your impressions and a clip of your finished product. Rock On!

This sounds good, but it seems to be missing the throb and the almost mangled tone he achieved. You can really hear the vibe clearly in Pete's Dry Bell demo.

I feel like I just can't get enough with the vibe in the Axe. It seems like there must be a way, I just can't quite get it yet.

I often struggle with the phaser and flanger too, in that respect. I also can't nail a certainly type of spring verb (check out the Big Sky demo for a great example).

I hear ya, I'm going to keep playing with it. I think I got a little closer today, I'll post another clip later tonight when I get home.

Looking forward to it.

I'm getting there. Not anywhere near Pete Thorn's awesome demo of the Dry Bell (which is considered to be one of the very best by a lot of people) though.

I watched Pete's demo again and matched it with the Axe-Fx's Vibe (vibe into clean amp into Cab block).
Default settings, then increasing Depth to 8.25-ish and Tone also slightly increased, it's very close IMO.
As I said, all other settings at default (Mix 50% etc.).

Slow 1.075, Fast 4.160. I use Damping to gradually change speeds.

Too much swirl? Decrease Depth a little.
While high Depth (= Intensity) is nice for clean tones, it doesn't work well with dirty vibe tones.

Right. I think that's what I'm experiencing; that I can't quite get where I want with dirtier tones.

But that clip is just great, Yek!

To get more of that "throb", a different IR really helps.

I really am almost there now.

And, I am beginning to understand how to get more out of the phaser and flanger blocks. One thing that helps is to lower the output volume of the amp block and increase the effect block volume (either series or parallel). So, as with many things in the Axe, gain staging is extremely important.

So much still to learn. And that's why I'm here!

Reactions: yek
I've been away from home, but I am eagerly looking forward to hearing/trying out everyone's attempts. Thanks a bunch guys!

And, I am beginning to understand how to get more out of the phaser and flanger blocks. One thing that helps is to lower the output volume of the amp block and increase the effect block volume (either series or parallel). So, as with many things in the Axe, gain staging is extremely important.

Are you placing those behind or before the Amp block?

Vibe before the amp. And, I've got it now. The right amp and IR make all the difference.

Regular phaser/flanger after the amp, and again the right amp (with the right settings) and IR make a huge difference.

No problems here anymore. Still learning, with miles to go. I'm enjoying the ride. This is just an awesome guitar product.

If I do post a patch, it will actually end up being simple. Nothing fancy needed, in all honesty. Not sure where I was even going wrong before.

Vibe before the amp. And, I've got it now. The right amp and IR make all the difference.

Regular phaser/flanger after the amp, and again the right amp (with the right settings) and IR make a huge difference.

No problems here anymore. Still learning, with miles to go. I'm enjoying the ride. This is just an awesome guitar product.

Try phaser and flanger before the amp. :)

Post #28 is all you need. :)

Your settings, and all the work you do, is much appreciated. Using your settings from Post #28, I was able to finally find something I liked with the Vibe. I attached the speed to my expression pedal and the next thing I knew I lost an hour from my day......which is never a bad thing. Thanks again :encouragement:

Reactions: yek
Slow 1.075, Fast 4.160. I use Damping to gradually change speeds.

Hi Yek, could you elaborate on this a bit more please? Is the rate slow and fast what you indicated above? And are you attaching a modifier to expression pedal on the damping parameter?

Thanks

Hmm, well, not all I need, as I'm a little slow. It's the combination of the univibe sound and the distortion that makes that Trower sound, and your example is clean. A good starting place, but since I have no idea whatsoever what Trower used to get the rest of his sound, or even the order of effects (i.e. was it all amp distortion, or was their a boost or fuzz pedal and if so was it before or after the vibe), it's still a long way from #28 to Bridge of Sighs... At least for a tweak-averse, time-limited moron like meself.

Post #28 is all you need. :)

Hi Yek, could you elaborate on this a bit more please? Is the rate slow and fast what you indicated above? And are you attaching a modifier to expression pedal on the damping parameter?
"Damp" is also a parameter on the Modifier page. It controls how quickly the Axe reacts when you move the expression pedal. See the manual for more info.

Back
Top Bottom