Still looking for MK II Mutron filter like this:

I still use a few pedals in front of the Axe (when needed), including the Emma Discumbobulator for the Mutron type stuff. I haven't been able to dial anything in the axe that satisfies me for that sound.

Nice sound!
A dedicated Autowah block is the one thing I miss in the Axe fx. Yes, you can achieve something like that with attaching an envelope to the wah control or filter block. I have tried and also tried other users settings but I still have a hard time finding the sweet spot for the Mutron or Qtron type sounds in the Axe fx.

On a related subject, can the wah on the axefx get the Jimi Hendrix Still Raining Still Dreaming sound? If so, that same tonality - triggered by envelope - ought to be possible. But if it can't get that wah sound, all bets are off.

I get close but not close enough for my taste in dialing in an authentic mutron.

The authentic mutron sound is not popular now, as compared to a tube screamer in front of a Marshall or Boogie, but the sound of the mutron is iconic.

A dedicated envelope filter block modeled on a real mutron would be excellent.

try this as a starter and tweak to your liking. i've no idea what guitar of amp was used in this song, but the important thing is how you set up the filter. low pass with envelope tied to frequency and Q, so you get the "quack". i've run it through a tape drive here, to try and get more of an analog vibe...

Attachments

• Mutron.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 49
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Is that an axefx II preset?

In the original clip, he was playing through a furman PQ-3 preamp into a crown power amp.

try this as a starter and tweak to your liking. i've no idea what guitar of amp was used in this song, but the important thing is how you set up the filter. low pass with envelope tied to frequency and Q, so you get the "quack". i've run it through a tape drive here, to try and get more of an analog vibe...

It's cool but the quack isn't quite wide enough and it disappears when I play fast. What can I do to widen it?

Thanks Simeon. That preset is a very good starting point. I have fiddled with the frequency and Q settings for an hour today. I feel the sound is close but still isn't there like on my Qtron pedal or on other Autowahs I have owned. Still can't find the sweet spot and there is something I miss that I can't get my finger on. It somehow takes too much effort. Especially when used on my bass. It would be some much easier if there were only four knobs to dial in.

Back
Top Bottom