Still happy - AX8

Musicroom

Just saying - my AX8 sounds spectacular! The feel, response along with the amp tones are a joy to play both live and in the home studio. Might grab a second one for a backup unless Fractal reissues an updated floor unit with the same amount of foot switches as the AX8. Until then, I'm still as happy with my AX8 as I was a couple of years ago when it arrived new from Fractal.

Last edited:
Still loving mine as well.

Was really disappointed with the FM3 and the discontinuation of the AX8 platform. The sounds of the FM3 sound great from what I hear on-line, however the smaller form-factor and loss of control buttons on the device simply makes no sense to me.

If the whole idea of the AX8 platform in the first place was to provide an all-in-one amp modeler+effects+control ability in a single floor unit, why did the AX8's successor eliminate half of the convenience of floor control ability?

Heck, even Kemper followed suit after Fractal's AX8, and FAS choice is, instead of upping their game by adding additional features (headphone out, 2nd fx loop,etc.) to their already successful AX8 platform, is to go the opposite direction and reduce usefulness to his a lower cost.

And YES! I know that with enough patience, I can figure out how to get by with just 3 buttons. . . . the problem is.... I don't want to do that. I want the convenience of having my controls at the ready, the instant I want to hit a button, not press and hold or wade through cycling function options.

Also, YES! I know I can buy an additional controller pedal board and use that with the FM3 to regain my ability to have instant access to functions, however doing so will cost more money, and necessitate taking up an even larger footprint on the floor.

Baffling.

If and when my AX8 gives up the ghost, I'll likely be going to my #2 choice of the Kemper stage vs the FM3 plus an additional pedal board.

But, based on all of the lectures I've received from FM3 fans about my concerns, I might be the only one who feels this way?

Still loving mine as well.

Was really disappointed with the FM3 and the discontinuation of the AX8 platform. The sounds of the FM3 sound great from what I hear on-line, however the smaller form-factor and loss of control buttons on the device simply makes no sense to me.

If the whole idea of the AX8 platform in the first place was to provide an all-in-one amp modeler+effects+control ability in a single floor unit, why did the AX8's successor eliminate half of the convenience of floor control ability?

Heck, even Kemper followed suit after Fractal's AX8, and FAS choice is, instead of upping their game by adding additional features (headphone out, 2nd fx loop,etc.) to their already successful AX8 platform, is to go the opposite direction and reduce usefulness to his a lower cost.

And YES! I know that with enough patience, I can figure out how to get by with just 3 buttons. . . . the problem is.... I don't want to do that. I want the convenience of having my controls at the ready, the instant I want to hit a button, not press and hold or wade through cycling function options.

Also, YES! I know I can buy an additional controller pedal board and use that with the FM3 to regain my ability to have instant access to functions, however doing so will cost more money, and necessitate taking up an even larger footprint on the floor.

Baffling.

If and when my AX8 gives up the ghost, I'll likely be going to my #2 choice of the Kemper stage vs the FM3 plus an additional pedal board.

But, based on all of the lectures I've received from FM3 fans about my concerns, I might be the only one who feels this way?
I feel the same way. Ax8 form and layout is ideal.

Just saying - my AX8 sounds spectacular! The feel, response along with the amp tones are a joy to play both live and in the home studio. Might grab a second one for a backup unless Fractal reissues an updated floor unit with the same amount of foot switches as the AX8. Until then, I'm still as happy with my AX8 as I was a couple of years ago when it arrived new from Fractal.
I had to check your username to see if I had posted this!

I had just purchased/received an AX8 and I have come to find that the AX8 is an AMAZING piece of gear!!

I wish that I would have purchased one of these units years ago but there was either a waitlist or they would be out of stock right away every time I was looking to get one (definitely a great investment).

It is really easy to dial in to taste and there is a LOT of videos out there to help someone learn the device pretty quickly.

One benefit from it being the Q10 firmware is that you never have to worry about your tones/presets needing to be changed after another firmware update (we have all been there, lol).

There is also a large number of AX8 presets for sale and I have been looking through various ones so I am always looking for recommendations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom