Sticky Guitar Neck fix...

TD77

Inspired
Just sharing something I stumbled on that seems to work great. I play outdoor gigs in the summer and one thing that I absolutely hate is fighting the guitar neck. I did a light sanding on my strat but doesnt seem to help outside. I had ordered a bottle of Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic spray for my car (which is amazing for that) and thought, why not try it on the guitar neck. I put on a coat and after 24 hours put on a second. Absolutely fantastic! I ended up using it on the guitar body as well. Check it out if you get a chance. Really made a huge difference for me. Not only can you keep the car looking great you get two for one with the guitars. Your guitar neck will be super fast.

I use ceramic sprays on my motorcycles.
Never thought to use it on my guitars.

Only thing I'm curious of - a lot of the ceramic detailing products act as a water barrier / sealant....so could that affect the paint in any way?
If anyone remembers a product called 'Guitar Defender' - it was a plastic sheet (like a cell phone screen protector, but thicker) that you put on the back of your guitar to protect from buckle rash.
I put it on a mint LP I had. After a while, I pulled it off and found there was almost a 'paste' on the surface of the guitar.
The nitro finishes will gas out for years. And when the gas has nowhere to go, it caused some reaction with the plastic (it kind of melted).
Anyway - I brought it to my luthier and he scrapped off the goo...wet sand and buffed. It looked new again.

Not saying the ceramic coat will do the same thing, just throwing it out there as something to think about or keep an eye on.

I use ceramic sprays on my motorcycles.
Never thought to use it on my guitars.

Only thing I'm curious of - a lot of the ceramic detailing products act as a water barrier / sealant....so could that affect the paint in any way?
If anyone remembers a product called 'Guitar Defender' - it was a plastic sheet (like a cell phone screen protector, but thicker) that you put on the back of your guitar to protect from buckle rash.
I put it on a mint LP I had. After a while, I pulled it off and found there was almost a 'paste' on the surface of the guitar.
The nitro finishes will gas out for years. And when the gas has nowhere to go, it caused some reaction with the plastic (it kind of melted).
Anyway - I brought it to my luthier and he scrapped off the goo...wet sand and buffed. It looked new again.

Not saying the ceramic coat will do the same thing, just throwing it out there as something to think about or keep an eye on.
I cant see the spray acting any more as a sealant than the lacquer already on the neck. No idea. It's working well for me and I stopped treating my guitars like museum pieces years ago, lol. I used to be ultra careful, trying to prevent any scratch or the like but one day just gave in. Wear, dings, scratches and all I dont mind anymore. I just take care to maintain the playability and let the cosmetics take a back seat. Now my guitars and I are both ugly. hahahah

Just sharing something I stumbled on that seems to work great. I play outdoor gigs in the summer and one thing that I absolutely hate is fighting the guitar neck. I did a light sanding on my strat but doesnt seem to help outside. I had ordered a bottle of Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic spray for my car (which is amazing for that) and thought, why not try it on the guitar neck. I put on a coat and after 24 hours put on a second. Absolutely fantastic! I ended up using it on the guitar body as well. Check it out if you get a chance. Really made a huge difference for me. Not only can you keep the car looking great you get two for one with the guitars. Your guitar neck will be super fast.

Does your Strat have a nitro finish?

I was wondering since my new Heritage H150 has a nitro finish that’s sticky. My skin reacts with it forming a haze. I wear long sleeves to prevent the reaction on the top bout of the guitar, but the neck gets sticky. Virtuoso Polish gets rid of the haze and stickiness, but the neck stickiness comes back quickly. I hope over time this will go away.

I was wondering since my new Heritage H150 has a nitro finish that’s sticky. My skin reacts with it forming a haze. I wear long sleeves to prevent the reaction on the top bout of the guitar, but the neck gets sticky. Virtuoso Polish gets rid of the haze and stickiness, but the neck stickiness comes back quickly. I hope over time this will go away.
Chemical reaction of your sweat to the nitro.
This is why I'm careful what cleaning/protectant chemicals I put on nitro as I don't know what reaction it would have.

I dont know much about the nitro finish. If you think it may be an issue then def pass on trying the spray. For me this stuff is working great. If not for the guitar, def try it for the car lol. Amazing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom