Sticky Global Performance Page (or equivalent)?

aflynt

Inspired
I've got my FM3 set up to mix a few different feeds into my IEMS. Basically just taking either a FOH feed or 1 or 2 mics plugged into input 2 and mixing them in with my guitar sound and sending them to my IEM transmitter through Out 1 R. I have performance page knobs set up to adjust the mix and overall level sent to the IEMS as well. This works well if I just stick to one preset and use Scenes to switch sounds, but once I switch presets all my IEM level adjustments are lost. I could just get basic levels at the start of the set, save the preset and set the same levels in the other presets, but I don't really have a good way to adjust those levels on the fly mid-set.

Just wondering if there's some workaround that I'm not thinking of (outside of using a separate device to mix IEMS). Maybe some sort of optional "sticky" setting for the Global Performance Pages, where settings to params set in a Global Performance page can optionally be applied automatically when switching to scenes that include those parameters as well?

-Aaron

The Global Performance page is just "shortcuts" to settings within your presets.

They can only ever represent or affect the current preset.

Thanks
The Global Performance page is just "shortcuts" to settings within your presets.

They can only ever represent or affect the current preset.
Thanks! My idea for "sticky" global performance pages was more of a feature request. I'm basically looking for ideas for how to accomplish something similar where you can adjust a knob somewhere and it will apply to that new setting to specific parameters across multiple presets when they load. I'm guessing the only current way is to use modifiers with an external controller (requiring external hardware). Just wanted to know if I was missing something where it could be accomplished without external hardware.

-Aaron

One idea:

Assign unused External Controllers as modifiers for those controls.

Then use External Controller Initial Value (global settings) to adjust the values.

As long as there's no physical controller attached to them, the Initial Value will be used.

I'm not sure you can assign those settings on the Performance Page or not, but it would allow for settings to be changed globally.

One idea:

Assign unused External Controllers as modifiers for those controls.

Then use External Controller Initial Value (global settings) to adjust the values.

As long as there's no physical controller attached to them, the Initial Value will be used.

I'm not sure you can assign those settings on the Performance Page or not, but it would allow for settings to be changed globally.
Interesting idea. I'll give that a shot! Thanks!

Changing the initial value of an external controller definitely works for setting the value globally. I don't see a way to assign that setting to a performance page anywhere, unfortunately. :( I guess at the very worst I could just edit those params directly on the fly on the unit.

Thanks!

I wound up setting up some virtual knobs on my iPhone/iPad that send out the appropriate CC messages to the FM3 over wireless Bluetooth MIDI. It would still be nice to have that controllable on the performance pages somewhere, but I’ll just be able to mount the IOS device/UI to my mic stand which is likely more convenient anyway.

Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.09.16 AM.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wound up setting up some virtual knobs on my iPhone/iPad that send out the appropriate CC messages to the FM3 over wireless Bluetooth MIDI. It would still be nice to have that controllable on the performance pages somewhere, but I’ll just be able to mount the IOS device/UI to my mic stand which is likely more convenient anyway.

View attachment 103130

Thanks!
Pretty cool! Is this using a third party app on the iPhone/iPad to set up the virtual knobs and transmit the midi?

Pretty cool! Is this using a third party app on the iPhone/iPad to set up the virtual knobs and transmit the midi?
It’s an app called “Knob Lab”. A couple dollars to get more than 1 button. It’s pretty rigid and inflexible, but it works. I’m currently just using the iOS built in Bluetooth MIDI along with WIDI Master dongles from CME for the FM3 and my MorningStar MC8 controller for the wireless MIDI communication. The crappy part is that you have to pair the WIDI dongles with the iOS device for it to work. I’m looking into adding a WIDI uHost or WIDI Bud Pro for the iOS devices, so that I can use native CME grouping for a more reliable plug and play setup.

-Aaron

It’s an app called “Knob Lab”. A couple dollars to get more than 1 button. It’s pretty rigid and inflexible, but it works. I’m currently just using the iOS built in Bluetooth MIDI along with WIDI Master dongles from CME for the FM3 and my MorningStar MC8 controller for the wireless MIDI communication. The crappy part is that you have to pair the WIDI dongles with the iOS device for it to work. I’m looking into adding a WIDI uHost or WIDI Bud Pro for the iOS devices, so that I can use native CME grouping for a more reliable plug and play setup.

-Aaron
That’s pretty neat. Hope you can get it fine tuned the way you want it. Thanks for sharing.

New to this..
How do I navigate to the Global Amp blocks Settings?
Well… You don’t. :) That’s a feature that isn’t present on the current FM3 firmware.

My idea with this thread was to figure out if there was some way to set up something like that, but there really isn’t, practically speaking. You’d need to set modifiers on each parameter that you want to control globally and set them each to a different External Controller number, then in the Global settings you could change the External Controller Initial value for each of those in the global settings to set that value for any preset you’ve applied that modifier to. You would have to remember what parameter (drive, treble, etc…) each External Controller Number was mapped to as well, which (for me at least) is not all that likely to happen. I’ve gotten around that issue by setting up my iPad/iPhone with a UI that controls the parameters I need wirelessly.

-Aaron

Last edited:
I think a small mixer would be better for what you need to do. I've seen people use this for in-ear mixes:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._242_MM_242_4_8_Channel_Mono_Stereo_Mini.html

I'm a fan of Rolls. They make this, but you'd need RCA ends:
Amazon product ASIN B0002BG2S6

I’ve looked at mini-mixers like that, but I’m trying to limit the number of things that I need to setup/plug-in/carry. I’d mostly use this for festival shows, or other situations where I’m not running sound and need to get myself and my monitoring rig setup and configured quickly. Adding any of those to my pedalboard (at least the ones I’ve seen) would require an upgrade in size and weight.

-Aaron

FYI - I got the WIDI Bud for my iPhone and this setup worked perfectly at a festival show I did today. Had 10 minutes to set up and no sound-check. Just unplugged the cable from the wedge and plugged it (with an adapter) into the FM3 Input 2 R, plugged the WIDI Bud into my iPhone, set the phone down on the drum riser next to me and was able to control the IEM level/gain with the Knob Lab app. Monitor feed got a bit hot 1/2 way into the first song and started clipping the input. Just reached over and pulled down the input level a bit on the iPhone and and everything was good. Well… Not “GOOD” exactly… I mean the send was eq’d like a wedge and the FOH engineer left the guitar in the mix so it sounded like a$$ in my ears, but I was able to hear everything I needed to well and get through the show w/o issues, and more importantly no hearing damage.

Incidentally, the sound engineer was raving about how great the FOH send from the FM3 sounded after our set. Even with the horrific EQ on the IEM feed, it still sounded and felt musical and alive in my ears too (even though it was ludicrously bright and missing all the low end).

-Aaron

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom