Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

I'm starting to lean towards staying with the Fm3. I'm on the wait list, but I kinda like being able to set the Fm3 off to the side and having only the FC6 directly in front of me. I'm also not sure, for my use case anyway, that the cost is really worth upgrading, except to cure my GAS! lol. I only get to play at church, and it's 3 songs per week. Hard to put another $16000 towards the gear when what I have is killing it already.
Same here. At this point in my reasoning, I'll pass on the invite and go with a 4-button stand-in switch with a much smaller footprint. The FM9 is physically big enough to become a "thing".

I don't need 2 amps and I have everything I need in my presets so I'm sticking with the FM3 for now :) It also fits in my backpack so thats a plus!
It's not about two amps. It's about having your pedals ready infront of you and more power to run hi-res fx..

Sticking with the FM3. I have never owned such an amazing creative tool in such a small form factor. I am a one man band and the FM3 sits and fits nicely on my counter and doesn't take up too much space. Actually I don't even use the hand (foot switches) much.

Sticking with the FM3. I'm all about small and capable. I don't want a big pedalboard. For the gigs I play, I don't need or want it. I use one or two presets, with a few scenes, and effects to switch on and off. I do have an FC-6, but I really prefer the FM3 alone, and I have a custom switch layout that works really well for me. For recording, I don't need the added power or the switches. I have lots of high quality plug ins and IRs in my DAW (yes including Helix Native!!), and the FM3's limitations don't hold me back at all. If the FM3 had the FM9's power, I'd love it. But I'm happy without that. Love the FM3 as is. Don't want bigger. :)

Haha! No way! FM9 just showed up yesterday. :)

I am saving for a III and will decide about the fate of the others
when that time comes. I know I won't be one of those who has
one of each form factor.

I am actually closer to pulling the trigger on a III.

The things we do, and contemplate doing, eh?? :)

I am holding off on the III for now. I got on the waitlist and felt obligated
to go through with the purchase of the FM9. It may allow me to sell one
or both of the FM3s and put that toward a III. I am just holding tight for
now and going to consider what I ultimately need and will use the most.

I do love the smaller form factor of the FM3. It is just so convenient and
sounds SOOOOO Good! The best sounding portable rig I have ever had----
by far!

The III feels like a long-term solution. I can see myself with a III and FM3
eventually. Or an FM9, FM3, and III.

Wait, what did I just say??? :)

I will buy an FM9 and stick with the FM3.

Our other guitarist got my AX8 after I got the FM3 (since we wanted to go "full digital" guitar-wise). After fiddling a while with the FM3 it turns out that
  • I don't feel restricted with the CPU limitation(s),
  • with my additional double switch I get enough switching options for 80% of my use cases,
  • I really like the small form factor.
At the end of the day, the FM9 will be my "main work horse", but I use the FM3 as backup for me and the other guitarist, as well as my "I am traveling around"-option. If I would need to fly to a gig, I would probably stick with the FM3 as well, just because, as you said, size and weight are enforced and limited.
I'll do the same... keep both. No reason to remove the FM3, especially with future firmware, small form.
Amazing device.

I'm on the fence. I love the FM3, and its form factor but the FM9 will be easier to use if a bit bulky to carry around if its on a board with a couple of expression pedals. Also on the fence about just getting the big box and an FC6. Whatever happens I plan on keeping the FM3.

After a couple of days with the FM9 I am feeling the pull of the dual FM3 setup.
Just more convenient and easier to use for my purposes. FM9 is flat out gorgeous
and a great piece of kit. I just have more mileage under my belt with the dual FM3
rig and like the independent switching I can get.

So, my preliminary determination is that two, autonomous FM3s is better suited to
my needs. For now. :)

I ordered my FM9 as soon as I got the invite and posted my FM3 + FC-6 for sale on Reverb. It took less than 10 minutes for someone to snatch those up from me. I listed both for ~$100 less per unit if buying new.

For me, the FM-9 upgrade is worth it, no more struggling with the CPU to squeeze in the effect I want, saving hours of tweaking. The FM9 is also a smaller footprint (both size and weight) than the combination FM3 + FC-6 which I mounted on a Temple 24. Lately, I've been playing around with Yek's presets and was able to play the majority of presets without CPU overload.

Happy camper here.

After a couple of days with the FM9 I am feeling the pull of the dual FM3 setup.
Just more convenient and easier to use for my purposes. FM9 is flat out gorgeous
and a great piece of kit. I just have more mileage under my belt with the dual FM3
rig and like the independent switching I can get.

So, my preliminary determination is that two, autonomous FM3s is better suited to
my needs. For now. :)
This is what I've been wondering about.

I'm really thinking I'm staying with my FM3 setup. Presets on one midi controller and scenes on a MC6 plus a tiny expression pedal in a 17" long board that all fits in a briefcase .

Plus I haven't scratched the surface of the FM3 and have the best tone for miles.
A. Lot. Of. Miles. 🙃

But ...I could see myself flipping a 9 on reverb and paying for this 3 with the profits.

I always hated that guy, but ya know ...

Back
Top Bottom