Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

Will stick with the FM3 for now. As long as its in the same league soundwise as its bigger brothers :) I like the small form factor, and don't need dual amps or loads of fx. FM3 will probably handle the eventual gig for me. I also like that it has passive cooling (mostly). If I had more live playing, I might consider a switch to the FM9.

FM3 + FC6 User here. I used to control with them also my vocal rig via midi.
I'm waiting for FM9 to see if I can use it for everything and sell those racks, I tried to use that double rig (In1 for gtr and In2 for vocals) but there are some warning issues and have some troubles with reverbs.
If will works I think I will sell only FC6 and use FM3 for spare.

Sorry for my english

Last edited:
FM3 + FC6 User here. I used to control with them also my vocal rig via midi.
I'm waiting for FM9 to see if I can use it for everything and sell those racks, I tried to use that double rig (In1 for gtr and In2 for vocals) but there are some warning issues and have some troubles with reverbs.
If will works I think I will sell only FC6 and use FM3 for spare.

Sorry for my english
You're English is fine.

I too am a bit undecided. I rarely run out of CPU. If I do, i usually make a new preset with just the tone I'm searching for. Really how many effects do you need in one preset? I understand for recording, you may want the best verbs, but for live use, not sure it makes much difference. The latency switching between presets has never been an issue for me. Although I've never owned a Helix, I like the idea of the pedal on the board. That really is a grab and go form. That being all said, I still have the stash waiting if I'm convinced. I'd like to hear more sound clips of how guys are using two amps?

Keeping both. Retooling the FM3 pedal board to just FM3 and expression pedal for jazz jams. Kitchen sink presets go the FM9 AxeFx III with a big welcome back to the dual amp and onboard reverb patches. IIxl+/MFC going on loan to a friend.

Edit: Apparently the sweet FM9 announcement was the gateway drug to realizing I couldn't wait any longer. Congratulations Fractal team on the sale. Lol.
So here’s the thing. I got the FM3 looking forward to fewer items to carry to jams. Ultimately though, half the time recently I have the same number of bags to carry (FM3, FC12, 2xQSC), and not as much power as I had with the IIxl+. (The old rigs and switching systems the fractal gear substitutes for are fairly described as both awesome and ridiculous.)

Now, instead of separate reverb and pedal augmented FM3 board in a bag, it’ll just be the III, and otherwise, just the FM3. And the back to front dimension of the III actually make it more manageable in my existing case than the II is. At home it’ll be super simple to incorporate other gear with the III’s expanded I/O.

I think the FM9 is a fantastic thing, and I’ll enjoy seeing folks enjoy it. And on the other hand, I look forward to using the FM3 simply and unobtrusively (FM3, 1xQSC) Cheers all!

Last edited:
It’s nothing different than happens on the stock market everyday. Missed opportunities out of fear (granted that sometimes it is justified). I think you’ll see them trend back up especially given Fractal is sold out.

The reason I chose the FM3 over the AxeIII in the first place was I really like the compact form factor. When the FM9 was announced I was thinking about the extra horsepower, but then I realized I rarely go above 70% on the FM3 anyway. I'm good... For now. If it turns out I need "more," then I'm going whole hog and getting the big boy and an FC-12.

Back
Top Bottom