Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

I’m DEFINITELY upgrading to the FM9. Ever since I had an AxeFX II I’ve been wanting a floor unit that could run two amp blocks. I’ve been pining/whining/begging/PMing for this for literally years. It’s no exaggeration to say I’m more excited for this than I have ever been about any piece of guitar gear. Or any gear in any context that I can remember. Even more so than when I stood in line for hours to preorder a Tesla Model 3 lol.

You seem to have an errant view of basic economics (as evidenced in your early post referencing prices of new products). That's why new products go on sale because of downward pressure caused by a lack of demand coupled with too much supply.

The auto industry is easy to demonstrate this with because they must clear out all old stock every year for the new models.

Perhaps what you're inferring is that prices usually won't increase when there is high supply and low demand. If this is the case, we agree.

If you feel my view is in error, please describe why vehicles prices are increasing pertaining to the semiconductor shortage, which is what the focus of my posts is about (specifically, price increases of electronics which depend on semiconductor chips)?

I'm willing to hear you out. Though I don't think anyone likes being told they're wrong.

Last edited:
New prices are unaffected by demand.
Here's part of your quote from above. This is why I said you're in error. New prices are affected by demand. There are instances of companies having to sell at a lose due to lack of demand for a product.

Anyway, we're getting way off topic and probably boring the snot out of many folks.

Here's part of your quote from above. This is why I said you're in error. New prices are affected by demand. There are instances of companies having to sell at a lose due to lack of demand for a product.

Anyway, we're getting way off topic and probably boring the snot out of many folks.

Of course, any quote taken out of context could be considered wrong. How do you think late night talk shows make their money? :)

Though it was interesting what you said about "being wrong" meant. This was observed by what I watched on TV this evening.

My suggestion to you is, that you turn off the TV, sit with a (1) mixed drink, listen to some music, and enjoy a good book, in the safety of your own home. If someone rings your doorbell buzzer this evening, it's likely the take-out you ordered. Hopefully, it's not some dudes with a 30-pack and a fifth of Jack.

If we're way off-topic it's likely because we've taken in way too much info tonight, have been playing too many games, and need to wake up refreshed tomorrow morning.

Thanks for keeping me honest, but truthfully, I don't base my reality on what's right or wrong. My reality in this forum is based on asking viewpoint questions and stating my view on gear.

You had said it was all in good fun, but if a person's view is considered wrong to you, how might you ever learn about what someone else believes or thinks? I'd say we just have not gotten to know each other well enough yet. And perhaps, that might be a good place for us to find common ground. :)

Last edited:
Of course, any quote taken out of context could be considered wrong. How do you think late night talk shows make their money? :)

Though it was interesting what you said about "being wrong" meant. This was observed by what I watched on TV this evening.

My suggestion to you is, that you turn off the TV, sit with a (1) mixed drink, listen to some music, and enjoy a good book, in the safety of your own home. If someone rings your doorbell buzzer this evening, it's likely the take-out you ordered. Hopefully, it's not some dudes with a 30-pack and a fifth of Jack.

If we're way off-topic it's likely because we've taken in way too much info tonight, have been playing too many games, and need to wake up refreshed tomorrow morning.

Thanks for keeping me honest, but truthfully, I don't base my reality on what's right or wrong. My reality in this forum is based on asking viewpoint questions and stating my view on gear.

You had said it was all in good fun, but if a person's view is considered wrong to you, how might you ever learn about what someone else believes or thinks? I'd say we just have not gotten to know each other well enough yet. And perhaps, that might be a good place for us to find common ground. :)
You are one strange cat.

More than happy with the FM3. Plenty of processing power for my needs. I don't need high quality reverb in the unit, I always record dry and add reverb in the mix anyway, unless it's just a fun YT video. Live, who could tell the difference (what's "live" :tearsofjoy:) ?. As for buttons, it's funny, the older I get the less pedals I like to use. With the FM3, as long as I can jump on maybe an amp boost, OD, and turn delay on and off, I can vary my tone enough just using the guitar controls. I liking simplicity as much as possible these days. The main reason I got the FM3 anyway was for the world class modelling, which is does now with Cygnus just as well as big brother and middle brother. FM3 is a winner in my book. (Maybe I can pick up a cheap FC6 from someone dead-set on an FM9?)
:cool:

I would just add that all conventional world economic theories are presently in great peril due to the contrived faux disasters meant to facilitate the implementation of the 4th industrial revolution which is intended to, and includes the elimination of free markets, honest competition and a huge portion of the working class by robotics. The “useless class” is in the minds of our masters and it appears those previously counted on to hold back the dark tide are asleep at the wheel. Or just too self absorbed to give a crap.

Hopefully this will reach the eyes of some before it is deemed “political“😱 and removed! It’s sad when anything above a “Brittany Spears” level of thought is considered too unruly for adults on an Internet forum.
The internet=public=civil rights=freedom….
I love hearing different opinions and even more so, how people got there. Today, anything that goes against the group think, is silenced. Sometimes, it feels like we are living in the Matrix. Up is down and wrong is right. Gaslighting. Anyway, I love the Fractal stuff and look forward to the FM9.

Heavy long time FAS user, had all Axe product since the beginning.
I got the FM3 lately as I was tired of dragging the big rack with AxeIII every time. I’m gigging and rehearsing, I need to travel light and the FM3 is a bingo!
I also purchased the FC6 for extra switching, I build a new pedalboard of them both and after 1 gig I realized I’m going to tear the new pedalboard apart and build 2 small ones, one with the FM3, Exp. Pedal and wireless receiver and the other with the FC6 and few more switches.
This way I can decide according to my mood or stage size, what to take, FM only or also FC6.
I also created extra layouts allowing me to switch between FM3 only to OMG9 setup in a flick of a switch.
I used to build very complex presets but during the time I realized I don’t really need it that way as I don’t really use all the features in the preset so the FM3 DSP is ok for me.
Also used to run aprox’ 20-25 presets a gig (with scenes)! But not anymore, currently I’m using 3.

p.s: for those who are sure the FM3 / FC6 will be flooded all over with low price….well….dream on.

Have owned the FM3 since July 2020 and like it a lot, also bought the FC6 to go along with it since I did want more buttons. Together, they are enough, but like others, I wish for more processing power. Dual amps/dual reverbs I don't need nor do I find it necessary with the available drive pedals and great amp tones available in Cygnus. So, for now, going to keep FM3/FC6, but may change my mind later and so went ahead and got on the waitlist. I think it will be some time before I will receive a notification to buy, so plenty of time to sort it out. I do like the small size of the FM3 for my acoustic gigs and the band gigs I can use the FC6 and both fit into my gig bag backpack along with my exp pedal and cables. Happy for now.

Sticking with the FM3 and just ordered an FC6. Don't need the extra processing power, and think the waitlist will go into next year anyway. I did bust out the AX8 recently and really enjoyed playing on that again. It is great to have more options available and the FM9 fits perfect between the FM3 and AXFX3.

Sticking with the FM3 and just ordered an FC6. Don't need the extra processing power, and think the waitlist will go into next year anyway. I did bust out the AX8 recently and really enjoyed playing on that again. It is great to have more options available and the FM9 fits perfect between the FM3 and AXFX3.
How does the AX8 stack up against the FM3 for tones, specifically the amps? At one point during the extremely long wait to get my FM3 I was considering buying one.

Currently have IIXL & MFC 101MkIII FM3.

Trying to sell II & MFC to help fund the 9.

Almost sold FM3, but must keep for form factor/travel.

You are one strange cat.

Could be. Sometimes I see what the world offers, and disagree, just like you do. Sometimes a key to acquiring wisdom is a matter of acknowledging other's viewpoints, but not necessarily accepting them. If someone's viewpoint is wrong in your opinion, you can always try to reason with the person to help guide them to the correct conclusion. Not necessarily telling them the correct answer right off, just helping them reach the correct conclusion.

Strange? Bwaahaahaa. I'm just curiously refreshing.

In light of what others have already said, it may be wise for me to not buy an FM9 if it's also possible for me to judiciously consider my FM3 CPU usage.

My concern may be inconsequential and trivial. Just so my choice is not not engage too many effects blocks which could compromise CPU usage. Would that impact what presets I'd created? Only if effects blocks were excessively utilized.

In my view, too much of anything can produce negative or disastrous results. Being more cautious and moderate would be a wiser course, don't you agree?

How does the AX8 stack up against the FM3 for tones, specifically the amps? At one point during the extremely long wait to get my FM3 I was considering buying one.
Honestly, I think the AX8 sounds amazing and don't hear a measurable difference. I also love the 11 switch form factor on the AX8. The lack of ongoing support is concerning to some, but I have not gotten a firmware update on my Fender Deluxe Reverb in years.

FW updates don't matter, if you have good tones already. At this point I could live in isolation with my FM3 and be a happy camper. None of my previous modelers had FW support like Fractal gives though--they are the best.

Thanks for the feedback. AX8s are definitely holding their value.

Back
Top Bottom