Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase

lscottk

Experienced
I recently discovered Steven Wilson's album Hand Cannot Erase. What a great album! He is a phenomenal guitar player and an epic composer. I love the guitar work on this album. The phrasing and harmonic complexity of his solos are the type of sounds that I've heard in my head since I was a teen wannabe rock star. For some reason I have missed him and Porcupine Tree. He just came through Portland, Oregon about 6 weeks ago. I would have loved to catch his show. Has anyone seen him on his recent tour?

I went to see him as I was wanting to see Guthrie - didn't know a lot of his output and was not a Porcupine Tree fan but it was incredible! Marco was stunning - Guthrie was terrifyingly good - I think his best work is with SW.
The band, epic songs, great stageshow - all a great experience. I got my GG Charvel the day before too, almost took it back after seeing him play :) lol

I was gonna post Drive Home too... :) Moving songs and videos for sure, Jess Cope did an amazing job on them.

Thanks for the responses. I read a review of the show in Portland and Dave Kilmeister was the alternate guitarist. I did not realize that Guthrie Govan played on this album. I came across Hand Cannot Erase on Spotify and didn't look up the recording notes online. Really amazing playing.

I'll check out the videos later when I get home. Phone speakers won't do justice to the tonez.

I'm a fairly new fan of PT and then SW... I really enjoy his music.

Personally, I think The Raven That Refused to Sing is a better SW album and Guthrie slays on that one! Hand Cannot Erase is a bit more mellow.

HUGE fan of SW/PT.

I've seen both incarnations in Germany, Montreal, DC (x2), Charolotte NC, Baltimore and last month in Dallas.

I'm a fairly new fan of PT and then SW... I really enjoy his music.

Personally, I think The Raven That Refused to Sing is a better SW album and Guthrie slays on that one! Hand Cannot Erase is a bit more mellow.

I'll check Raven out. Thanks for letting me know about this album. I planned on sampling all. I'll start with this one.

Thanks for the responses. I read a review of the show in Portland and Dave Kilmeister was the alternate guitarist. I did not realize that Guthrie Govan played on this album. I came across Hand Cannot Erase on Spotify and didn't look up the recording notes online. Really amazing playing.

Saw this show in Portland at the Aladdin - it was amazing as usual. I've seen him I think 3 times solo and twice with Porcupine Tree. The guy just has music in his blood - greatest technical guitar player? no... and thats why he has people like Guthrie playing on his records. Man the guy can write great music! Really impressed by Kilmeister as well. If you haven't already, you should check his other solo records as well as some of the Porcupine Tree stuff.

Long time Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree fan. I've seen both PT and SW live, most recently on the last legs of his Hand Cannot Erase tour. Steven is a great guitarist in his own right, but he's been bringing in the heavy weights for his solo stuff. Both Guthrie and Dave have been fantastic. HCE to me is one of the best modern concept albums made. The story of a fairly young woman in London who died in her apartment and it went unnoted for a few years. It's amazing to see played live. Steven is one of the few artists (including his many albums and years with Porcupine Tree) who has carried the torch of not only classic prog but combines elements of metal, 80s electronica, classical, jazz, and other styles into something truly unique. Probably my favorite modern prog artist.

Long time Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree fan. I've seen both PT and SW live, most recently on the last legs of his Hand Cannot Erase tour. Steven is a great guitarist in his own right, but he's been bringing in the heavy weights for his solo stuff. Both Guthrie and Dave have been fantastic. HCE to me is one of the best modern concept albums made. The story of a fairly young woman in London who died in her apartment and it went unnoted for a few years. It's amazing to see played live. Steven is one of the few artists (including his many albums and years with Porcupine Tree) who has carried the torch of not only classic prog but combines elements of metal, 80s electronica, classical, jazz, and other styles into something truly unique. Probably my favorite modern prog artist.

Also carries the torch for multi channel and high res music - what some might call dying formats. I have a bunch of PT and his solo stuff in 5.1. - Sounds amazing. The guy just has a never ending well of creativity.

Back
Top Bottom