Steve Vai's David Lee Roth-era Jose Arredondo-modded Marshall Super Lead

I didn't know about this amp before Pete posted this awesome video.
Is there a way to replicate this in The Axe3, or better yet, any chance @FractalAudio can get his hands on this and model it? It's hands down the best Marshall I have heard.

I remember Cliff talking about this. It has something to do with the saturation. A lot of famous guys would get the Jose mod. Very cool stories.

The saturation switch in the amp block engages clipping diodes (Zeners IIRC) which is the crucial part of the José mod. We can essentially create our own custom amps in the Axe-Fx by starting with a core model and playing around with the advanced parameters.

I imagine there were some other component tweaks from amp to amp, but I see no reason we couldn't get close to this in the Axe.

Update - I had a quick crack at this based on the steps Dave Friedman outlines in Pete's vid. 1959SLP Jump, Sat switch on (ideal), input trim 3, MV dialled back to 7, using a greenback IR. Further tweaking would get you a lot closer but here's a quick and sloppy rip at some DLR.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to watch all of the video, can it be tonematched?
Since this essentially about changing the clipping/saturation characteristics, it cannot be tonematched, since tonematching is purely a linear/EQ process. But I am sure, we can get close anyway :)

Since this essentially about changing the clipping/saturation characteristics, it cannot be tonematched, since tonematching is purely a linear/EQ process. But I am sure, we can get close anyway :)

Yeah, I'll have a play around with @2112 s tips when I'm back at my III

Unless he gets a video out in the meantime

The saturation switch in the amp block engages clipping diodes (Zeners IIRC) which is the crucial part of the José mod. We can essentially create our own custom amps in the Axe-Fx by starting with a core model and playing around with the advanced parameters.

I imagine there were some other component tweaks from amp to amp, but I see no reason we couldn't get close to this in the Axe.

Update - I had a quick crack at this based on the steps Dave Friedman outlines in Pete's vid. 1959SLP Jump, Sat switch on (ideal), input trim 3, MV dialled back to 7, using a greenback IR. Further tweaking would get you a lot closer but here's a quick and sloppy rip at some DLR.

Leon, what guitar did you use, your PRS?

That us way more than quick and sloppy Leon! Freaking amazing!

"Eat Em And Smile" is my favorite Vai for playing and tone ... so raw but clean... Looking forward to digging in on this video!!!!

Think we need that preset. ;)

Thanks for the input.
Really appreciate everything you're doing for the Fractal community, Leon.

I have a preset in a similar vein that I think could be modded to be real close to that tone. I'm using a Friedman amp, but whatever works right?

Attachments

• Singtall Jose Mod.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 67

Post your preset bruh! :tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom