Steve Vai tone w sample ... what do u think ?

openmind

Inspired
Hey guys ... just get a 1988 jem 777sk ... always dreamed about this guitar, now that I have one, I start learning a little bit about steve vai style, not easy but here we are... So i just did this kind of tone with the axe and the old jem, its close but there s something there missing, dont know what it is... oh sorry about the sample, its a little bit out of tune and a mess but its not about my playing its about the tone now ... :)

nice job, openmind. not much of a vai fan but i must say, with that tone and vibe i might need to revisit. def post the patch.

raze

Sounds cool to me,probably just missing an eventide harmonizer :encouragement:

Hey guys ... just get a 1988 jem 777sk ... always dreamed about this guitar, now that I have one, I start learning a little bit about steve vai style, not easy but here we are... So i just did this kind of tone with the axe and the old jem, its close but there s something there missing, dont know what it is... oh sorry about the sample, its a little bit out of tune and a mess but its not about my playing its about the tone now ... :)

You play great!
I would lower the bass a bit and maybe add some highs for clarity! But damn close! :eek:

I would say the biggest misconception of Vai's tone is how much gain there is...
It is far less gain-y/saturated/distortion than you think it is... a Mesa amp is probably a bad choice because it is way more high gain than lets say a carvin and Vai uses less gain than you think on the Carvin... it's in his hands... I swear-- I played his amp. He sounded like it was saturated as hell- I sounded clean through it.

The sample is def a passion and warfare marshall era sound... the sample sounds good- but i can hear more gain than necessary (for vai's sound)

I would say the biggest misconception of Vai's tone is how much gain there is...
It is far less gain-y/saturated/distortion than you think it is... a Mesa amp is probably a bad choice because it is way more high gain than lets say a carvin and Vai uses less gain than you think on the Carvin... it's in his hands... I swear-- I played his amp. He sounded like it was saturated as hell- I sounded clean through it.

The sample is def a passion and warfare marshall era sound... the sample sounds good- but i can hear more gain than necessary (for vai's sound)

Agree on the Mesa .

Most of the times I have heard someone Nail his tone in for the" love of god" its been a Bogner XTC red.
to me that lead tone is super Chewy, Thick , looser lows and super smooth violin highs.

Your playing is right but the tone sounded to bright and in your face ,also he has a lot more delay and verb

For a lot of recorded tones, using a blend of a high gain amp + a clean amp, gets you that "not as much gain as you think" tone. It sustains and rings like too much gain but sounds clean too at the same time.

thx for all the answers !!! allright will try with less gain sound !!! Once I get it right I ll upload the patch, also will try with another amps ...
quick question is, if is less gain, how the hell he as so much sustein ? And i m not talking about the guitar with sustainer pup, he always have bigs of sustain ...To get this sound I was listening a lot to " I know u were here " the 3 neck piece intro for g3 tour ..
btw here is my "new" jem that is not that new of course :p sorry aint got better pics yet, arrived 3 days ago in fact

thx for all the answers !!! allright will try with less gain sound !!! Once I get it right I ll upload the patch, also will try with another amps ...
quick question is, if is less gain, how the hell he as so much sustein ? And i m not talking about the guitar with sustainer pup, he always have bigs of sustain ...To get this sound I was listening a lot to " I know u were here " the 3 neck piece intro for g3 tour ..
btw here is my "new" jem that is not that new of course :p sorry aint got better pics yet, arrived 3 days ago in fact

With that killer axe you need a new sig ;)

Now where talking..... That Jem looks like its ready to melt everything in its path! .....Damn, I had a DY and Floral Jem back in the day, Why did I let those two get away? :cry

Back
Top Bottom