Steve Vai - Sisters - Tone Match

tgorycki

Inspired
Yet another Steve Vai tone match attempt. This one is based on a clean Fender Twin Reverb sound. Used an Ibanez RG1570 with stock pickups (neck/middle position). Echo and reverb are from Axe-Fx II preset. There's some light EQ and compression from the DAW. Used Vai's "Naked Tracks" for accompaniment. Link to preset below (FW 6.02).

View attachment Sisters.syx

Last edited:
Very nice. One of my favourite Vai tunes. It's been my "guitar store try out" tune for a long time now. Looking forward to trying this patch out.

great sound and playing!! but:
after loading this patch in Edit my Axe II is mutet, after i click on the Tonematch button (re-mute) - sounds like distortion and some Trem??? can you help me whats wrong?

great sound and playing!! but:
after loading this patch in Edit my Axe II is mutet, after i click on the Tonematch button (re-mute) - sounds like distortion and some Trem??? can you help me whats wrong?
Thanks for the compliments!

I downloaded the link from my original post to be sure I uploaded the correct file and it wasn't corrupt, then opened it in Axe Edit.

Here's what could be wrong:

- I started the patch from a generic patch which has several effects bypassed for additional effects as desired. Maybe they are not bypassed in your case depending on your foot controller setup. The only blocks that should be active are AMP, TMA, DLY, and REV. All others (CPR, WAH, PHR, DRV, CHO, FLG, MTD, ROT) should be bypassed and, when looking at the display on the Axe-Fx II, should have a dotted line around them. The effects being used should have a solid outline. If this is the problem, manually bypass the effects from the front panel, then save the preset again.

- Also worth mentioning, when creating this patch, I did an X/Y comparison between the Double Verb and Deluxe Verb amps, so be sure the Y amp is active since I went with the Double Verb (Fender Twin Reverb).

There's really not a whole lot going on in this patch as it almost sounds direct, but I think it makes a pretty good "go to" clean sound.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Beautiful tone. I think too much of the time, we get higher gain tones uploaded. This is one of what I am sure will become part of a catalog of great clean tones. As an aside, I just uploaded 'Shiva Loves Me'. Sort of a SNAFU - I ended up using the Vox AC-30 TB as an amp. Bad Petey. :twisted

Pete

Beautiful playing and sound!

P.S. You should check out the chord at 1:23, it doesn't sound right.
Thanks! As soon as I read that, I knew which chord you were refering too. I mucked it up but didn't bother going back to fix it.

Sorry for bumping an old thread.
Googled (Steve Vai's clean tone on Sisters) and found this. :)
Been a huge fan of both Frank Zappa and Steve Vai for a long time and often wondered how they achieved their ultra clean tones, I guessed it could be plugging direct into some high end mixing desk or pre amp? Gonna give this old preset a try and hope it works ok with FW Quantum 3.03

Back
Top Bottom