Steve Vai - Sisters - Tone Match

Look at the top of thread post, preset is there.
I tried it today, pretty good but a little bit of noise from high end EQ boost likely in the tone match?
I just added a slight amount of noise gate to the input.
The Axe-Fx II has come a long way since FW 6.02! Understandably, there will need to be some tweaking. Also remember that my RG1570 plays a part in that Tone Match, so, if you're able, be sure to match it with your own guitar.

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody! Seems like this thread resurfaced in concert with the release of the remastered Passion & Warfare CD (can't wait to get my hands on it)!

Yet another Steve Vai tone match attempt. This one is based on a clean Fender Twin Reverb sound. Used an Ibanez RG1570 with stock pickups (neck/middle position). Echo and reverb are from Axe-Fx II preset. There's some light EQ and compression from the DAW. Used Vai's "Naked Tracks" for accompaniment. Link to preset below (FW 6.02).

View attachment 11960

Good sound very nice.....

I like it!
The Axe-Fx II has come a long way since FW 6.02! Understandably, there will need to be some tweaking. Also remember that my RG1570 plays a part in that Tone Match, so, if you're able, be sure to match it with your own guitar.

This preset translates very well to quantum on my side, you're right, the guitar and pickup selection is important, thanks man!

Hi I realise this is a 4 year mega bump but hey Vai’s sounds are timeless! I have the Axe Fx Ultra (not the II) and would dearly love to recreate this tone if that’s possible. I have an Ibanez that should do the the trick but I guess this patch will not work on my Axe FX. Is there any way to give me some info / settings to try and recreate it, hopefully it is still possible on my Axe FX, it certainly produces lovely clean sounds although I’m not as keen on the distorted one. Any help greatly appreciated !!

Love this sound but can import to Axe fx III
This preset is from 9 years ago with Axe Fx II FW6.x...

The Axe Fx II went to FW 19 before reaching Quantum modeling and starting over at 1, then going to FW version 10 before reaching Ares modeling and starting over. There are 2 major firmware versions for Ares.

Even on the Axe Fx II it would sound significantly different.

The Axe Fx III is currently on FW 15.01.

If you could import it (you probably can convert it with FracTool), I seriously doubt it would be very close to the original :(

Love this sound but can import to Axe fx III
Besides what was mentioned already. Which renders the original preset virtually useless on much newer firmwares/platforms. Axe-Fx II tone matches won't directly convert to Axe-Fx III. You have to save the Axe-2 match as an IR. Then import that IR into the Axe 3 and select it in a Cab or IR Player block.

Back
Top Bottom