Steve Vai Passion and Warfare Tour - Wow!

Genghis

Power User
I'm probably not the first to post about this, but I had the pleasure of seeing Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare 25th Anniversary tour in Portland, Oregon Sunday night. Awesome show, maybe one of the best I've seen for this type of show. The sound was amazing and his replication of all of the tones and effects on the album was awesome. (Thanks Fractal for those effects!) Tony McAlpine was the opener, and they both did exceeded expectations with their performances.

Of course, there were a lot of guitar players there, and the guy in front of me seemed to think Steve's tone was a little off due to his use of the Axe-FX instead of tube amps. I politely pointed out to him that Steve was using the tube amps on either side of his Axe-FX and using the Axe-FX for his effects. I resisted the temptation to argue with him that the sound was spot on and probably would have been spot on even using the Axe-FX for the preamp as well. Haters gotta hate, you know. I imagine he liked the tone better when he knew it was generated by tube amps, but who knows. LOL (The guy and his friends were pretty cool other than the Axe-FX hate, so it was fun chatting with other guitar players about the show.)

One other thing that was cool is that for his encore, he brought Tony out to jam (or course), but even cooler is he had a young kid from the Portland area come up and trade off licks as well. The kid was really good and I'm sure it was the jam of a lifetime for him. Not to mention the crowd really loved that! Steve is so humble and personable on stage it made for quite an experience. I won't go into details, but I really thought some of the stuff he did with the videos was some of the coolest I've seen at a concert as well.

I saw him Sunday before last in Las Vegas. Flawless performance, great showmanship, high fidelity sound, A+ set list. His Axe II was recreating all of his Eventide effects to perfection.

Good news! I'll be seeing him right outside his hometown in November. It should be awesome. Saw him once before more than 10 years ago and Tony MacAlpine was in his band playing keyboards. I didn't know he was opening for him. Hopefully I'll get to hear him play some of my faves from Edge of Insanity.
-
Austin

Just scored tix for Milwaukee show...I've only seen him solo once, many years ago, and once each with Frank and DWeezil, but seeing him revisit P&W should be a treat. thanks for cluing me into this, he isn't coming to Chicago apparently.

Good news! I'll be seeing him right outside his hometown in November. It should be awesome. Saw him once before more than 10 years ago and Tony MacAlpine was in his band playing keyboards. I didn't know he was opening for him. Hopefully I'll get to hear him play some of my faves from Edge of Insanity.
-
Austin
Sorry, but he did mention that this was the last one Tony was opening for. :( Not sure who will be opening for the rest of the tour. It is a great show overall, and I'm sure you'll love it. With the opening act starting at 8PM Steve didn't wrap up until after 11:30, and they didn't take any longer than needed to change out between the sets. I was worn out just watching, let alone playing with all the energy and passion the band put in. The good living has done Steve well over the years.

Love Vai's whole vibe and approach to making music and entertaining.

Saw him with Frank Z on the Joe's garage tour... freakishly amazing.

Then much later with his own band... the lineup included Billy Sheean and Tony M. It was in the US, at the Cannery in Nashville, TN. The FOH was just too dayum loud for the venu. Ruined the show. I wore earplugs and still left early because it was hurting. I know that is atypical of one of his shows though.

I programmed Steve's rig for his Euro and US tour in conjunction with M@ and Thomas Nordegg. Big thanks to these two powerhouses for bringing me on for extra onsite support.

All amp sounds are his Carvin Legacies, all effects are AxeFX. All the magic is Steve himself.

Steve loaned me his rack gear from the P&W era to port into the AxeFX which translated perfectly (yet another testament to the AxeFx).

Enjoy the shows and the tour!

@RoshRoslin, you guys did a helluva job on the sounds. The tones and effects really were right on the money.

I was pretty blown away but not just Steve's sounds, but the whole mix was one of the best I've ever heard at a concert. I didn't think to bring ear plugs, but everything sounded great and balanced and the overall volume was just right. Loud enough that you knew it was a concert, but my ears weren't ringing afterward like they are at most concerts. My compliments to all who had a hand in making it so!

I programmed Steve's rig for his Euro and US tour in conjunction with M@ and Thomas Nordegg. Big thanks to these two powerhouses for bringing me on for extra onsite support.

All amp sounds are his Carvin Legacies, all effects are AxeFX. All the magic is Steve himself.

Steve loaned me his rack gear from the P&W era to port into the AxeFX which translated perfectly (yet another testament to the AxeFx).

might you have had something to do with a certain new Legato amp that showed up in our latest beta..? Looking forward to hearing your handiwork in Milwaukee

Any documentary video on this endeavor? ;)

yes yes yes... you guys, just rub it in! Missed the Sweden concert by 2 days when back home for holiday and so far not a single stinking date over here. Grrrrr ;)

Tonight in Canada
AaEdpK1.jpg

xcrko9r.jpg

VENds7O.jpg

MXYPf2A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom