Steve Vai, Carvin, and Fractal

I was just having fun with you man. I found it funny but I agree. Between Fractal, Kemper and L6, I'm sure a few less amps have been sold. I call it the Kemtal6 effect.
maybe we're onto something...every movement needs a moniker...kemtal6 it is..
sounds like a planet in a far distant galaxy inhabited by angry, vacuum tube headed monsters.

For a made-to-order guitar that was pretty good. You could put whatever idiot options you wanted and they'd still take it back.
That's not the return policy for the guitars. It's the post-split return policy for the amps and all of the pro audio gear. 10 days is a joke.

This is sad to hear. My first power amp was a Carvin F1200 and it lasted over 15 years but got wet when my basement flooded and never worked again. I had a DCM1500 power amp that my old bass player plugged the output into the input and turned up all the way and caused a little light show. It was a couple years out of warranty. No local repair places would even attempt to fix it. I called Carvin and they said it was supposed to have a protection circuit to prevent what happened. They said if I shipped it back to them, they'd replace it. They shipped a new one to me and covered the shipping.

I had 4 TR1503 and 2 TR1801 PA cabs. I had issues with all the 15" and 18" woofers and they replaced all of them free even though they new I bought them used.

Their customer service started to decline rapidly though in the mid 2000's.

Who's next?
My guess is Peavey...
Gibson is a close second- they will go fully bankrupt- but will restructure, fire a few idiots with a golden parachute and always keep making guitars with the name on them- you know- because they made good guitars- before my mom was born.

Every 6505 user is probably a Fractal user now- lost EVH a long long time ago- and Undercover Boss made them look awful-

I will never buy a Gibson again. I have an SG I All American from 1994 that the Gibson logo is separating from the headstock and they want over $500 to fix it. Funny how my friends Chibsons have never had that issue. I have a Samick SG thats older but in better condition. You'd think just out of pride they'd cut me a deal to fix it. At least if I try to sell it, it's definitely not a counterfeit because only the real Gibson's have that issue.

I will never buy a Gibson again. I have an SG I All American from 1994 that the Gibson logo is separating from the headstock and they want over $500 to fix it.

I wanted a nice gibson les paul for a while- it took me a good 3-4 years of shopping...

The only time a craigslist deal turned "ugly" is this...
Found a nice maybe 2000 Standard- Ice Tea or Cherry Burst whatever- I was paying full top retail- I think the lowest I could get him to was $1550- relatively it was a 1300-1400 guitar but 1550 was still fair and really hard to find what I was looking for

I live in Phx- I had some business to do in Tucson 2 hours away- met the guy- was looking over the guitar- the logo was like completely shredded... there was like- clearcoat shreeded all over the logo and the logo was like bursting out and like the dot was like barely hanging in there in the 'i' in gibson-

and he was like 'oh they're all like that' (later I did some forum searches- a lot of them are like that)

I told him- I'm buying this just because it says GIBSON here and not any other reason- and if the logo is that messed up he should have told me-

He wouldn't go lower and got pissed when I told him it was a deal breaker-

A little earlier in the conversation I said I'd pay him $20 for his time but let me think about it- (he had a prs for sale too he didn't bring) and then he demanded the $20 immediately- and I mentioned that he was wasting my time and I drove 2 hours to see his jacked up logo guitar... he started cursing me out- so I ran to my car cursing him out a long the way and got the hell out of there.

Anyway- about a year later for my 30th birthday I went to vegas and found a perfect 2004 Standard/Ice tea that I wanted and got it for $1200

But the only reason I wanted that guitar is because of the stupid name gibson on it- and it wasn't even visible almost- it's not too much to ask for.

I wanted a nice gibson les paul for a while- it took me a good 3-4 years of shopping...

The only time a craigslist deal turned "ugly" is this...
Found a nice maybe 2000 Standard- Ice Tea or Cherry Burst whatever- I was paying full top retail- I think the lowest I could get him to was $1550- relatively it was a 1300-1400 guitar but 1550 was still fair and really hard to find what I was looking for

I live in Phx- I had some business to do in Tucson 2 hours away- met the guy- was looking over the guitar- the logo was like completely shredded... there was like- clearcoat shreeded all over the logo and the logo was like bursting out and like the dot was like barely hanging in there in the 'i' in gibson-

and he was like 'oh they're all like that' (later I did some forum searches- a lot of them are like that)

I told him- I'm buying this just because it says GIBSON here and not any other reason- and if the logo is that messed up he should have told me-

He wouldn't go lower and got pissed when I told him it was a deal breaker-

A little earlier in the conversation I said I'd pay him $20 for his time but let me think about it- (he had a prs for sale too he didn't bring) and then he demanded the $20 immediately- and I mentioned that he was wasting my time and I drove 2 hours to see his jacked up logo guitar... he started cursing me out- so I ran to my car cursing him out a long the way and got the hell out of there.

Anyway- about a year later for my 30th birthday I went to vegas and found a perfect 2004 Standard/Ice tea that I wanted and got it for $1200

But the only reason I wanted that guitar is because of the stupid name gibson on it- and it wasn't even visible almost- it's not too much to ask for.

This is what my SG headstock looks like. I've seen others online with the same issue. Some people say it's caused by moisture but it's always been in it's case in a heated and Air conditioned room with all my other guitars.

IMG_20161214_222508681[1].jpg

The Tacoma guitar brand was basically finished before I ever started guitar- but I came across a super nice mandolin and the entire finish was like coming off like it was in translucent sheets- and the logo/headstock overlay was just trashed...
I called my guitar repair guy and he said- that's why they went out of business. I didn't buy it

This is what my SG headstock looks like. I've seen others online with the same issue. Some people say it's caused by moisture but it's always been in it's case in a heated and Air conditioned room with all my other guitars.

View attachment 42248
I first looked at that picture before reading your comment and thought, "That Henry J. done lost his mind. That's the ugliest post-modern design inlay I have ever seen!"

And then I ready your comment and I feed bad that you invested your hard earned dollars, and Gibson gave you that post ownership.

Actually, the company is still around. They sent out an email to their newsletter subscribers yesterday confirming that Carson's kids took over the business. They're still making the Legacy Drive pedal, so Vai will be alright I suppose.

I would not be surprised if those Carvins have been used strictly for heating the stage (and for collecting the Carvin paycheck) for years. I would totally kill for a Steve Vai designed preset pack exactly replicating the tones from PaW and Alien Love Secrets.

I would not be surprised if those Carvins have been used strictly for heating the stage (and for collecting the Carvin paycheck) for years. I would totally kill for a Steve Vai designed preset pack exactly replicating the tones from PaW and Alien Love Secrets.
Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but I posted about my recent attendance of Vai Academy. He uses the Axe Fx for effects, the VLD as a preamp and then feeds that into the power section of a pair of Legacy heads.

So, the Carvin stuff is definitely still being used.

His tech Thomas Nordegg said he had been trying to convince him to switch over to an AX-8. :)

Fernandes, Carvin, Gibson have been NAMM No-Shows
Dean isn't going this coming year but doing some sort of event in Florida

It would take like 10 seconds to do a tone match from "Bad Horsie" and "The Boy From Seattle". I'd do it myself but my gear is packed up in a Pod for the next few years.

It would take like 10 seconds to do a tone match from "Bad Horsie" and "The Boy From Seattle". I'd do it myself but my gear is packed up in a Pod for the next few years.

Dunno man, I have not had a good experience with tone match so far. The patches sound "constricted" and "wrong" somehow. I prefer patches dialed in from the amp and up. Maybe I should give it another try.

Back
Top Bottom