Steve Vai "Candle Power"

Unreal. Guy just can't stop pushing those boundaries. Virtuoso doesn't even really capture his transcendence on the instrument.

From the video description:

Hey Folks, Vai here. I wanted to challenge myself for my 60th birthday and decided to record a simple trio track. I gave myself some parameters to work within. I told myself I would use a Strat style guitar, (tougher for me to play then a Jem) use a very clean tone, (not conventional for me) no whammy bar, (that’s like losing a body part for me) and no pick, just fingers (way out of my comfort zone).

I also had this idea for a particular type of riff that can only really be played on a guitar with no whammy bar. It’s a technique that I call “joint shifting." This is where you bend a note while fretting another, but I wanted to do this technique with a combination of double and triple stop single note bends while fretting other notes and releasing bends. After considerable experimenting, I discovered it created a unique sounding passage. You can hear this technique on a few sections of the song. I certainly hope other ambitious guitar player see the potential in this technique and take it to the moon!

We shot this quick little video of me performing the track at my Harmony Hut studio.

During this period, the world is slowly starting to recover from the Covid-19 pandemic. Many people are still facing challenges and are eager to find entertainment on the internet. I have seen the best come out in many people during this challenging time. When people join together with a common positive intention, the power surge they create within the collective is the healing element that is most needed. Like many little candles coming together to burn as bright as a star.

I needed a title for the song, and with the above in mind, and the fact that it’s my 60th, I choose the title “Candle Power."

We are even issuing a limited edition commemorative “Candle Power” candle in the new vai.com merch store that also comes with a high-quality download of the song: www.vaimerch.com

Enjoy!

@yek posted this a few days ago.

Damn cool!

I posted a link in the other thread about the technique Vai created for this tune.

I wonder how many likes Steve would get if he had posted it here to Axe FX2 recordings,under the name of BaronVonGrim, no video.

This is weird and different and I like it lol. Steve is way out there with his chops and eclectic songcraft...

Great pickin'...and wacky chords/music/riff....like the Hellecasters were being cloned and put into an android (like they did to Kirk in the Star Trek episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?") but something went awry in the transfer and Ruk got in there too lol....

It's always interesting to watch and listen to him play; a combination of skills, musical mastery, and a tech-demo all in one heh.

Last edited:
I wonder how many likes Steve would get if he had posted it here to Axe FX2 recordings,under the name of BaronVonGrim, no video.
Why are you so worried about it?

Do you not enjoy it?

Do you think others only enjoy it because it's Vai?

I personally quite liked it and would have even without knowing who it was. The composition is cool and the technique is wild.

His chops are impressive and I admire him for continuing to push his playing into new places. The song itself was interesting but not really my bag.

Why?... simply because life is not fair. A difficult lesson to learn.

Some of my favorite song of his are these type of his songs.. when he slows it down. But I am in awe of the shred. I dont like it so much, few things I do. It reminds me of ballerina.. which I dont like that one, so maybe that's why. But I'd like too see some shred...and at 60, maybe that's not his best option... but hes still got it...saw him not to long ago.

Yes I think most people like it because its Vai.

I was such a Eddie loyalists, that I was never able to like him.. he was competition with my icon, and I thought Eddie was the best. So as much as I like Vai, I am still probably bias about him.

Back
Top Bottom