Steve Vai - Big Trouble - Tab and Preset

Hey Guys, thank you so much - I´m overwhelmed - I really had fun playing that - and don´t let it fool you - playing this technical stuff and these Youtube-Killer lickplayers out there - this requires no musicality at all and anybody could manage this - this is just technique an discipline - but I still love it - hahaha

And don´t you worry -Papa will take care of those who don´t have the XL - here are some screenshots:

Last edited:
Thanks for the screen shots but I have a couple of questions.

Can you provide the settings for the delay and reverb? Also, where did you get the cab. Is it from one of the cab pacs? If not then what would a nice equivalent be?

The cab is a Fractal Cab 149 included in at least the latest firmware.

149 — 4x12 Mar-CB V30-Ch Mix (OH) — Based on a Marshall 4x12 cabinet, with 4 Chinese 12" V30 speakers, UltraRes.

Yeah that's the quality you get from an old cam playing along to his stereo then uploaded to YouTube. It probably sounds OK in the room with him. Bear in mind this is somewhere in the Philippines and he's been uploading basically the same setup for the last 8 years. I don't expect it to sound that great.

Thanks for the screen shots but I have a couple of questions.

Can you provide the settings for the delay and reverb? Also, where did you get the cab. Is it from one of the cab pacs? If not then what would a nice equivalent be?

Thank you all!!!! I know the screenshot shows Delay and Rev, but I bypassed them during recording and added it later in the DAW...kept me more flexable in the mix...

When I get home I will break out my Vai book that talks about the rigs for each song. I'll recreate what I can from that info and see where it lands. Should be pretty interesting and a good learning experience.

When I get home I will break out my Vai book that talks about the rigs for each song. I'll recreate what I can from that info and see where it lands. Should be pretty interesting and a good learning experience.

That would be much appreciated. Can you screenshot the delay and verb blocks as well?

Okay here is a start. Didn't have as much time as I had hoped for tonight.

The book I have states it is a 100 Watt Marshall (Check - Brit 800, Excellent Choice) and what is interesting is the cabinet had 50 Watt Celestions. Looks like the II does not have the cab I posted earlier. I used F061 that match to what Heinzi used. For a personal preference I used my Ownhammer Marshall cab with Lynchback speakers. It also states a Boss Super Overdrive for the some solos, check. Base tone is damn nice.

For effects it states 'the signal at the console is run into a Roland SDE3000 for a stereo chorus effect.' Delay 15 milliseconds, feedback 0, Output 50% and slight modulation. The two returns were panned hard left and right. I used the 2290 w/Mod delay because it was reminiscent of the era. I set the mix to 75% so I could hear it better.

Then there is a slight overall echo at quarternotes. I used another delay for this and set the tempo to 80 bpm. My mix might be a little high.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

I can post screenshots tomorrow night. Need to get some sleep for an early day tomorrow.

Attachments

• Big Trouble - Heinzi.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 58
The cab is a Fractal Cab 149 included in at least the latest firmware.

149 — 4x12 Mar-CB V30-Ch Mix (OH) — Based on a Marshall 4x12 cabinet, with 4 Chinese 12" V30 speakers, UltraRes.

Yeah, but that's only on the XL. Non XL factory slots end with 132. I just used a hires 4x12 with green backs and it sounds great.

Wow! Excellent. One of my favourite albums. Great playing man.

A pity the preset is for the XL and not my "old fashioned rickety" Axe Fx II. :eek:(

I think this sounds great, even without the special IR.

The book I have states it is a 100 Watt Marshall (Check - Brit 800, Excellent Choice) and what is interesting is the cabinet had 50 Watt Celestions. Looks like the II does not have the cab I posted earlier. I used F061 that match to what Heinzi used. For a personal preference I used my Ownhammer Marshall cab with Lynchback speakers. It also states a Boss Super Overdrive for the some solos, check. Base tone is damn nice.

For effects it states 'the signal at the console is run into a Roland SDE3000 for a stereo chorus effect.' Delay 15 milliseconds, feedback 0, Output 50% and slight modulation. The two returns were panned hard left and right. I used the 2290 w/Mod delay because it was reminiscent of the era. I set the mix to 75% so I could hear it better.

Then there is a slight overall echo at quarternotes. I used another delay for this and set the tempo to 80 bpm. My mix might be a little high.

I can post screenshots tomorrow night. Need to get some sleep for an early day tomorrow.

This sounds great!!

During research I just found out that he used a 100w modded Plexi ( lend from Steve Stevens, modded by Jose Arredondo or Lee Jackson) with KT88 Tubes and 30w Celestions or 50W Celestions - so my guess was the V30 in a 4x12" Marshall???? - sometimes he had the Carvins X100B and in addition he used a Boss Super Overdrive...so that could always be some sort of starting point - however I agree - the 800 came closer, since his Plexi was modded anyway....

Back
Top Bottom