Steve Vai and hand surgery

may the gods continue to bless that muthafucka, with all that in his way the man still shreds beyond 99% of the guitar playing world; and I bet we’re going to see a new wonderful use of his legato now ! Lol

If I understand, this was done after his right shoulder surgery, but before his left hand surgery.

I'm afraid he's out of commission now for the left hand work, but I have ZERO doubt the man will come back as strong as ever.

A force of nature!

If I understand, this was done after his right shoulder surgery, but before his left hand surgery.

I'm afraid he's out of commission now for the left hand work, but I have ZERO doubt the man will come back as strong as ever.

A force of nature!
There is another video where he talks about the injuries, and he actually has a clip of the video of the surgery on his thumb. This is post operations which makes it even more insane lol.

Full Video

Vai: "I'm injured, hand is recovering"

Proceeds to bend space and time with one hand and my brain melts. :D

Last edited:
Vai is just incredible! Tastes aside, he still has such a unique approach to songwriting.

If i could play like that, my ego would be through the roof 👀

I'm stuck between being inspired, and wanting to put the guitar down and never touch it again. ;)

Vai is insane. He never stops.

On the topic of Vai and inspiration, this video is an old one that I go back to every so often when I need some fire under me.
Corny as it may be, it always inspires me to pick up the guitar.

Speaking of guitar injuries, has anyone else got this weird thing on fingertips? I was practising for an acoustic gig, and played acoustic a lot for a while, when all of a sudden I felt like an electric shock from my middle finger and jumped. The painful "electric shock" automatically opens my hand. After that, the middle finger was ruined for a while: when the string hit the pad of the finger at a certain spot and angle, I'd get the "jolt". I guess the string hits a nerve or something. It happened occasionally for months, with electric guitars too. I thought my finger was ruined for good. I don't like acoustics any more!

Last edited:
Speaking of guitar injuries, has anyone else got this weird thing on fingertips? I was practising for an acoustic gig, and played acoustic a lot for a while, when all of a sudden I felt like an electric shock from my middle finger and jumped. After that, the middle finger was ruined for a while: when the string hit the pad of the finger at a certain spot and angle, I'd get the "jolt" and jumpscare. I guess it hit a nerve or something. It happened occasionally for months, I though my finger was ruined for good. I don't like acoustics any more!
Strange. Maybe you got a sliver of metal in your skin? Those suckers can hurt pretty bad.

Speaking of guitar injuries, has anyone else got this weird thing on fingertips? I was practising for an acoustic gig, and played acoustic a lot for a while, when all of a sudden I felt like an electric shock from my middle finger and jumped. After that, the middle finger was ruined for a while: when the string hit the pad of the finger at a certain spot and angle, I'd get the "jolt" and jumpscare. I guess it hit a nerve or something. It happened occasionally for months, I though my finger was ruined for good. I don't like acoustics any more!
About 10 years ago I managed to slam my right hand middle finger in my car door as I was getting out.

I have no idea how I managed to do it and wasn't even actually aware I had for a few seconds until I was literally stopped short while trying to walk away from the car... My finger was stuck in the closed car door :eek:

The pain hadn't kicked in yet. When it did it was pretty bad!

I eventually lost the whole nail but otherwise no real damage... Except every once in a while I touch something just right and I get that same jolt. No fun!

I suspect I may have damaged a nerve or something...

Still baffles me how I shut my own finger in my car door :D

Back
Top Bottom