Steve Vai’s Jose Modded Marshall Super Lead

Interesting but not surprising that most people ignore the important part.
Dave says that Jose added an extra gain stage (a tube, using one half of it) in front of the circuit. He also mentions that the coupling cap was .022.

"Most of the Jose's did not even have the clipping diodes".

We have the clipping diodes available (saturation in Axe), that's easy.

Now, which amp models in the Axe are based on old four input Marshalls but have an extra gain stage in front?
I'm guessing there may be a Splawn or Cameron that would be close.

The Kasha Rockmod II preamp is also based on this topology, adding a stage before the Marshall preamp. This also gives you two gain pots like Steve's amp.

It’d be interesting to see if it could be replicated, or even come close using one of the models in the Axe-FX. There are just so many little nuances that make that amp really special. It definitely nails Eddie’s tone, but has something a little extra going on in the top end. I’d trade a ball for that amp for sure.

So I spent a little time playing around with the "Brit Brown" model on the FM3 today and I was able to get pretty close to Pete's tones by boosting the Treble and Presence and using the 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M cabs. Cliff has one hell of an ear because this amp nails EVH's tone in spades. Steve's amp just has a little something that I'm not able to replicate. It's those harmonics and overtones that's probably just a result of the tube power section. It's a pretty usable tone that's a blast to play.

I posted this in the other thread talking about how to get that amp tone. I already had this preset but i think it's pretty close, or at least close enough to dial in depending on your guitar. surprisingly....I'm using a Friedman amp on this preset.

Attachments

• Singtall Jose Mod.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 43
To be fair, the other two were posted in two forums that I don't frequent, one of which was posted after me. Oh well... spreading the love.
I always use "What's New" so don't pay much attention to specific sub-forums.

But yours is probably in the right place :)

Back
Top Bottom