STEVE STEVENS PLEXI (Rebel Yell era - 1983) w/patch

Steve's always been one of my favorite guitarists of the 80s, badass tones and playing! Thought about doing my take on his Rebel Yell guitar sound, no tone matching here folks!
Stevens recollects that he played a Kramer guitar(possibly a Pacer model) with a Floyd Rose. Miked with a combination of a Shure 57 and a Neumann 87, he played through “an [unmodified] Marshall, late '60s plexi, non-master volume — just turn the thing up as loud as you can — and a vintage Marshall cabinet with 25-watt Celestions in it. After trying every plexi model in the axe, I found the EVH5153 Blue to be the perfect amp! no od in front, just the amp gain, keep in mind I used two OwnHammer cabs from the modern pack, the OH MAR-CB V30-CH T1 Studio Modern and the OH MAR-CB T75-RI T1 Studio Modern. To be closer to what Steve played on the record I used my Kramer Baretta with a single humbucker in the bridge and a Floyd Rose. BTW, this patch turned out pretty close to the sound of the Friedman Steve Stevens model!
Let me know what you guys think! :)

DOWNLOAD PATCH HERE(this is still fw12.01): Axe-Change - Download Preset - Steve Stevens Plexi - by RoccoPezzin

Might I ask what pickup you use in the Kramer? I recently bought an original 1984 pacer , similar to one I had in the 80's and early 90's.

Hi, is the delay and reverb on during the rhythm or just the lead? Not sure if this is supposed to be setup on multiple scenes since I haven't actually auditioned it yest but noticed they were on. Thanks!

Hi, is the delay and reverb on during the rhythm or just the lead? Not sure if this is supposed to be setup on multiple scenes since I haven't actually auditioned it yest but noticed they were on. Thanks!

hey man, both are always on, on the original Rebel Yell recording the guitar track is really REALLY wet, check this out :) of course you should adjust them to taste

Great cover, Rocco! I liked it so much that I just had to pick up my guitar and finally learn that song :) I was surprised to see your amp choice and I wanted to try it with a Marshall amp (Brit Super) to hopefully get closer to the original original guitar stem track that you posted above. I still haven't figured out Steve's delay and reverb settings, so don't be surprised if it's not really that accurate :) Anyway, here is my version:

Since we're talking about Steve Stevens plexi:

In my opinion, Steve sounded the best on that song. The intro riff just rips. I'm still having problems to get that spongy and chirpy Full Blast Marshall plexi tone. If you could give that tone a shot yourself, it would be amazing!

BTW: How do you make that raygun type of effect? Modifiers in the Delay block?

Last edited:
Great cover, Rocco! I liked it so much that I just had to pick up my guitar and finally learn that song :) I was surprised to see your amp choice and I wanted to try it with a Marshall amp (Brit Super) to hopefully get closer to the original original guitar stem track that you posted above. I still haven't figured out Steve's delay and reverb settings, so don't be surprised if it's not really that accurate :) Anyway, here is my version:

it sounds really really close man! lovely tone :) btw, on the solo I just used the whammy bar like crazy to get that effect haha but there's a thread started by prometh regarding the ray gun effect, check it out http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/52940-steve-stevens-ray-gun-effect.html pretty awesome stuff!

Hundreds of guitar backing track on spotify

He's a great player and seems like a great guy and put many of us on Fractal Street.

Where did you get this Rebel Yell backing track BTW?

If you are a member of spotify do a search of backing tracks there are hundreds. Mostly from the play guitar with and also the Hal Leonard play along series. Everything from U2 to zep. Also many jam in the key of tracks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom