steve stephens ray gun and swirling effects

Keith White

Experienced
Has anyone figured out how to create the ray gun effect from Rebel yell with the axe fx? also how about the swirling effect he used a lot on whiplash smile album and dirty diana. its a high pitch to low pitch swirl sound the gets faster but pitch doesnt change. Please share any ideas and info.

sorry its steve stevens

I created it by using a delay block after the amp/cab (your choice). I have attached the bypass of that block to either an IA momentary switch, or to my expression pedal with an auto-engage type setup...works great....

Ray gun - I reproduced it similarly to Stevies method.....waving a very small hand held toy over the p/ups.
Not sure where I got this simple toy...it would fit on a key chain...its watch-battery powered, with 1/2 a dozen tiny buttons you press for desired sounds. Proly costs $2

Last edited:
I'd like to find a toy ray gun that you just hold to the pickups, just don't have patience for hunting through toy stores though.
pretty sure this is always what Steve Stevens uses, model and make = no clue?

Steve used a PCM-41 in the studio. The toy came about much later as a stage gimmick. Here is the one he gave me backstage in NYC when I acquired the Raygun PRS.

A517B319-E3E7-4F96-AE4E-A1D16A0B127D-42743-00002EFD7238B18F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I play Rebel Yell live I do a pinched harmonic high pitched with tons of vibrato at the the middle point of the solo and at the end of the solo I catch the harmonic at the 2nd fret and whammy bar the crap out if it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I play Rebel Yell live I do a pinched harmonic high pitched with tons of vibrato at the the middle point of the solo and at the end of the solo I catch the harmonic at the 2nd fret and whammy bar the crap out if it.

I do the same.

I've been covering this song for a few months now and created my own presets based off of Progressive Rocco's and the Swedish Chef's presets, and have it set up using the synth block and an expression pedal. I watched a lot of youtube video's and also have the guitar hero mutitrack so I've been able to nail it quite nicely.

If you want to do it authentically, head down to a dept store and buy a toy ray gun.

If you want to do it authentically, head down to a dept store and buy a toy ray gun.

The album was done with a PCM-41 as I explained, with the settings I've shown. I got my info from both Lexicon and Steve, so I'm confident it is reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
When this song came out I used a Small Stone phase shifter for this effect. Rate 100%, Color switch on.

The album was done with a PCM-41 as I explained. With the settings I showed. I got my info from both Lexicon and Steve, so I'm confident it is reliable.

While I'm sure it is, I've never seen him or met him, so watching any of a number of youtube videos, he uses a toy raygun live every time, so one would assume right? So that's where I learned and I was just saying I tailored my effects to this.

not disputing how the original recording was made, and I did try to get the same "tone" and sweep from there.

either way, it is possible to "re-create" on the Axe FX II in a number of ways :)

Last edited:
I found a toy ray gun on ebay that claimed it had the Steve Stevens Rebel Yell ray gun sound, but it was not even close. It sounded more like a toy machine gun. My wife got me one at Toys R Us that is pretty good.... but that was years ago.

Anybody knows a good toy gun brand:) (sorry for that silly question here) with difeerent sounds, speaker on the left side and capable of being modified - Steve modified a resistor to create different sounds as far as i know....

Back
Top Bottom