Steve Hackett patch

gulp...no pressure...! :)

having done a little research, i think the signal path would be les paul neck pickup > fuzz > hiwatt > tape delay > reverb

if the sound at the beginning of the song (single notes on the bottom strings) is the same as during the solo section, minus the fuzz...then it should be relatively easy to cop his basic tone. it's the fuzz that's going to be a problem, as i think he used tonebenders, but the big muff may be able to get a decent sound.

why don't we all have a play around and see what we can come up with?

ok, here's a quick start

turn the drive block on for the solo and switch to neck, or neck and middle pickups. i've used the big muff, but it doesn't seem to have quite the right tone...whatever he's using on the original seems to have a distinctive peak in the upper midrange...it might be worth experimenting with the drive tone controls, or even using two drives in series...

tweak. make it better. :)

Attachments

• Firth of Fifth.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 124
well that went down like a lead balloon. 27 downloads and no comments! did anybody manage to improve on it?

Yep, tonebender or duo fuzz. He also used a volume pedal to get a slow attack. Rolling back the tone knob on the guitar neck pick-up will help.

Might be worth trawling back through don peterson's posts - he made a whole bank of fuzzes a while ago, maybe one of those is in there....?

I read the Tonebender is a Big Muff with the first diode clipping stage removed if that helps, I had one in the late seventies and hated it! With Hackett so much is in the technique and phrasing, no surprises there then.

Back
Top Bottom