Stereo wired double neck into Axe 3

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello, as the Axe 3 can do two amps/signal chains, I’m thinking about rewiring a 6/12 double neck for passive stereo, one neck each side.

Given instrument/input 1 is mono and only it has special sauce 4 circuitry, I guess I should use input 2 for a stereo outputting guitar, right? Is there potential for ground loop or impedance issues with a different guitar neck going into each side of stereo input 2? Should I breakout stereo to separate L and R buffer boxes first, then into stereo input 2?

Anybody doing this currently?

Do you actually play both necks at the same time somehow? Otherwise I don't see the point for a stereo output, if it's just to have different amps/fx for each neck I'd just change scene, personally

Many people use input 2 for their piezo feed and run a separate row on the grid, myself included.

I
Do you actually play both necks at the same time somehow? Otherwise I don't see the point for a stereo output, if it's just to have different amps/fx for each neck I'd just change scene, personally
I do, with open tunings for big chordal stuff.

Many people use input 2 for their piezo feed and run a separate row on the grid, myself included.
Yep, I do that too, but in that case it's a lot easier to have signal on both outputs simultaneously and you actually NEED separate processing

Anyway, to answer OP's questions, no impedance issues since all axe fx inputs are 1M, s no need to use buffers either.
There might be a ground loop though.

Anyway you can also use input 1 and input 2 (set to mono/left only) to have separate input blocks on the grid for the two signals

Anyway, to answer OP's questions, no impedance issues since all axe fx inputs are 1M, s no need to use buffers either.
There might be a ground loop though.

Anyway you can also use input 1 and input 2 (set to mono/left only) to have separate input blocks on the grid for the two signals
If I split the stereo between input 1 and 2, wouldn’t the input 1 side be quieter and possibly sound different than the input 2 side?

If I split the stereo between input 1 and 2, wouldn’t the input 1 side be quieter and possibly sound different than the input 2 side?
Why quieter? They should be the same, every input is designed to not alter the signal level afaik.
Different I don't know, in my experience the difference added by the "secret sauce" is pretty subtle.

Yep, I do that too, but in that case it's a lot easier to have signal on both outputs simultaneously and you actually NEED separate processing

I like not having to touch the guitar as in the analog days, I just let the scenes with a Multiplexer do all the heavy lifting now.

I know the Chapman Stick has separate outputs for the bass and guitar strings, any Stick players using the Axe 3 with separate signal paths for the bass and guitar registers?

If so, do you pan the two outputs in the stereo field?

I know the Chapman Stick has separate outputs for the bass and guitar strings, any Stick players using the Axe 3 with separate signal paths for the bass and guitar registers?

If so, do you pan the two outputs in the stereo field?
My bassist plays Stick. He prefers separate signal paths for his bass and melody outputs... But he's gotten an FM3 since COVID and I don't know how he's running it there. He may have simplified.

"Man, I really need to re-think that input block"
View attachment 77094

What happens when you exceed four?

RICK-NIELSON-STUDIO-2006-NZ-47_PhotoBy_Neil_Zlozower_WEB.jpg.cf.jpg

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/p...06-NZ-47_PhotoBy_Neil_Zlozower_WEB.jpg.cf.jpg

I have two Chapman Sticks and recently switched from the Axe III to the FM 3. I have presets for Mono Stick, Mono Stick bass heavy, and Stereo Stick as I can toggle between stereo out vs mono out on the Stick's Active-2 pickup (very cool feature). On the stereo setting, I have 2 input blocks (melody side input 1, bass side input 2 L) which sum to 1 output block. I have not used 2 output blocks for my Sticks.

But he's gotten an FM3 since COVID and I don't know how he's running it there. He may have simplified.

I have two Chapman Sticks and recently switched from the Axe III to the FM 3. I have presets for Mono Stick, Mono Stick bass heavy, and Stereo Stick as I can toggle between stereo out vs mono out on the Stick's Active-2 pickup (very cool feature). On the stereo setting, I have 2 input blocks (melody side input 1, bass side input 2 L) which sum to 1 output block. I have not used 2 output blocks for my Sticks.
And he answered ;)

Thanks for all the input everyone. I’m going ahead with rewiring the double neck for stereo necks with a push/pull pot option to switch the jack back to mono output, and ordered a MIC/TRS cable with a L & R TS Y tail from Bestronics. This double neck is a Jerry Jones baritone 6/12, looking forward to being able to send each neck through its own amp and signal path, and to be able to try different panning arrangements and switch between them in scenes. None of this would’ve been very easy or even possible with an analog set up, thank you FAS for another amazing Axe 3 application!

Back
Top Bottom