1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Stereo vs. Mono at gigs. What are you using?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Discussion' started by Hooligan, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rcv24

rcv24
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Wait, whaaaaat? You sound just like the drummer, singer, and bass player in my band. SMH ;)

vangrieg likes this.
  2. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

My EDM DJ buddy will one up that by not just saying guitar isn’t the most important, but by asking “what is a guitar”?

:)

3. Richard Hallebeek

Richard Hallebeek
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I think it depends on the size of the venue and if the audience will hear your stage set up at all. I always play full stereo. Mostly small venues and lots of times I'm just lightly amplified by the front of house. Playing in stereo gives me a much more defined sound and makes me play way more relaxed. Also, with a slight stereo delay, the legato stuff comes out more defined.

4. #24 Piing, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:39 AM
    Piing

Piing
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

KEEP CALM
    LOVE RITCHIE BLACKMORE
    AND

PAN 100% TO THE RIGHT CHANNEL

stereotactic and bishop5150 like this.
  5. MKeditor

MKeditor
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've been running stereo for many years. ItsI never been a problem and sounds fab. ✌️

6. vangrieg

vangrieg
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

How do you know that?

And what do you mean by stereo, by the way? What are you sending differently to left and right channels?

7. bishop5150

bishop5150
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Mono or stereo to FOH. Whatever the sound guy prefers and stereo onstage.

WhiteSpace likes this.
  8. steadystate

steadystate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Stereo. This includes, but is not limited to, hard panned dual chorus with a bit of direct in the center, wide reverbs, etc. If FOH is mono (very rare), I only give them one channel. I never let them sum both channels to mono. The chorus and reverb sound ok if only one channel is used. Summing to mono sounds like shit.

9. James Nash

James Nash
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hey, I love the spirit here, but... right channel ? You're really messing with a bunch of tech heads who are about to start unplugging cables in their rigs... :)

10. TG3K

TG3K
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

We typically play small pubs, and we use our own PA with no guitar backline at all. We run subtle stereo effects for both me (electric guitar) and the other guitarist (acoustic guitar). About the only stereo effect I use on the electric is chorus, not panned maybe 50% off center. Delays are generally mono, or stereo with light panning. The mono acoustic gets a stereo "enhancer" via the XR-18 mixer. Both guitars sound fatter with a bit of stereo, ever for audience members on the far right and left sides of the stage. (I've confirmed this by walking around the room in the middle of a song.) If we're playing a larger venue or outdoors, everything gets panned closer to the center.

11. FreeMind

FreeMind
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I recommend going mono.
    More free channels. Less cables. Easier. Makes more sense.

Stereo in gigs is not worth it.
    If it's a small stage/pub - You may pan individual channels slightly, but stereo outputs from instruments is a waste. It's not worth it. Also, If you overdo it, the Audience on one side of the stage will only hear half of your sound.
    If it's a big stage (arena) - People will not experience the Stereo of your sound anyway.

12. stereotactic

stereotactic
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Sounds great, but only if you have Jon Lord’s C3 through a bunch of Marshalls on the left channel!

Piing likes this.
  13. Alexis

Alexis
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

only STEREO.
    Why? because my Keyboarder is using Stereo too and it's not possible to play a mono PA system.

I do have a second guitar player in the band that plays on some songs but not on all so I just give less level on one side to make room for him. works perfectly fine.

I wouldn't play mono ever again. It's the age of stereo! And all Venues I toured in Europe, even small clubs, were stereo so far.

14. TheOtherDave

TheOtherDave
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I’d make my patches stereo (or even quadraphonic if you want a wet/dry rig), but have the equipment on hand to sum it all clear down to mono if you show up to the gig and there aren’t enough channels.

15. Casper

Casper
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I would just try it out and see how you like it. In my opinion stereo is really great for small to medium sized venues, especially if you are a 3 piece.