Stereo to mono, back to stereo live ...Golden Ratio?

reclavea

Fractal Fanatic
After years of straight mono to the board...I've decided that for my live situations...going stereo has more appeal given the higher percentage of smaller venues I gig.

Yet there's those occasional shows where I would think...mono would be best.

Has anyone posted a set of guidelines, parameters....and delay settings that would basically translate well for both? ....ie ..Mono, Sum L/R, Copy L to R, ...etc

I wonder how Leon's Golden Ratio info would translate?

Thanks

No idea, not so very introduced in this esoteric matter of golden numbers, fibonacci etc, still you're only in a one-dimensionnal domain (time only). In complement to the time aspect and to make all this 2-dimensionnal; you could open or limit the stereo field to 26.3° which should correspond to the arctan of 0.46rad or the closed angle of a triangle corresponding to this theory....Should be corresponding to -7.3% left & 7.3% right for a 180° stereo field...wow; I swear I don't smoke...

Chris, having been confronted to a black out of one channel of a PA system lately : maybe if using only mono effects; but in that case why use stereo outputs..It does not sound conveniently to use only one side when using stereo effects and if you're using an enhancer block it's worse.

Yeah.....I'm pondering since the AxeIII and Ax8 has the "kitchen sink" capabilities....I could probably have the same presets duplicated and setup for differing banks.

....ie

Banks 1 -10 - stereo

Banks 21 - 30 - mono

Maybe......but if using just 1 side of a stereo setup translates well....it would save the headache.

I always run stereo BUT....My patches aren't dramatic stereo. I'm the only guitar player in the band, and I'm just using subtle chorus and/or delay to fatten things up a bit. The entire band runs direct, so the the subtle stereo I'm running is not much different than if you had a guitar player on each side of the stage running amps and cabs. If you weren't specifically listening for it, you probably wouldn't know that I was running in stereo. One other note....We have our own FOH, so I don't have a FOH variable to worry about.

setup in stereo, but try just sending one side of it for your mono performance. nothing to change at all.

After having tested all scenarios, this is what I do, too. Simple, doesn't require any adjustments in the setup menus, and phase cancellation is avoided.

Some effects may require some thought or adjustment. Examples:
  • If you run your stereo signal with two different IRs panned, then using only the left or right channel in a mono setup will result in a different tone
  • Ping-Pong Delay won't work in a mono setup
  • A slow 100% stereo spread Rotary or Tremolo may result in some loss of volume
  • Stereo detuning will lose some of its charm in mono
  • Etc.
Just test every preset and verify that it sounds equally well in mono as it does in stereo.

After having tested all scenarios, this is what I do, too. Simple, doesn't require any adjustments in the setup menus, and phase cancellation is avoided.

Some effects may require some thought or adjustment. Examples:
  • If you run your stereo signal with two different IRs panned, then using only the left or right channel in a mono setup will result in a different tone
  • Ping-Pong Delay won't work in a mono setup
  • A slow 100% stereo spread Rotary or Tremolo may result in some loss of volume
  • Stereo detuning will lose some of its charm in mono
  • Etc.
Just test every preset and verify that it sounds equally well in mono as it does in stereo.
Agreed.

If I “have to” be in mono, then chances are my tone or sound really isn’t that important and I just need to get through that gig. Depends on the gig, but it’s usually that way.

Back
Top Bottom