Stereo Tape Distortion Drive Setting

If possible, would you like a stereo setting in the Tape Dist Drive Block?

• Total voters

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I'd like to submit a wish that you could make the Drive block "Tape Dist" setting have a mono/stereo switch or a stereo mode if possible.

Wouldn't that mean that the entire Drive block needs to be stereo ? Frankly, I can't see that coming , but would still be a useful application, so 'yes'.

steadystate said:
Or use two blocks.
I think the drive block inputs are only mono, so unless you separate the signal into left and right signals before it got to the two drive blocks you would no longer have stereo? Is this correct?

Spoons said:
steadystate said:
Or use two blocks.
I think the drive block inputs are only mono, so unless you separate the signal into left and right signals before it got to the two drive blocks you would no longer have stereo? Is this correct?

You would need to use the Volume/Pan blocks as well to split the original "stereo" signal into two mono signals. Not a tidy arrangement.

I would like to add that the Drive block should just be stereo. It might sound silly, or too specific a situation, but currently there is no way to reamp a stereo signal (using a drive block) using just one input and output.

I was doing some reamping using my buddy's Axe, and was trying to send 2 guitar signals into it, both into the rear input 1 (L and R, respectively, obviously). It's extremely convenient to be able to reamp both sides at once, because you can hear exactly what the song will sound like without doing a pass/print for each side. But once you put a drive into the signal, the two sides get summed, which is a bummer both pre-amp-drive in my reamp situation, or in Scott's post-amp-tape-distortion.

Regarding re-amping, well, there are two drive blocks. You can use one for each guitar.

You all realize that turning the drive block into stereo equals doubling the load the block puts into a patch, don't you?
It's like always having both drive block instances in the grid.
If it's feasable at all, that would mean that there probably would be only one instance available on the Axe-Fx Std. (like the pitch block), because the Std. is already pretty packed.
Not sure about the Ultra, but Cliff recently stated that he's running out of memory on it, too.

The problem with using 2 drive blocks as you mentioned, is that there is no pan control in the drive block (unless I'm mistaken, in which case you can smack me).

Sebastian said:
You all realize that turning the drive block into stereo equals doubling the load the block puts into a patch, don't you?
Not really if Cliff would make it a seperate class/effect and not list it in the drives.
It's not a typical drive to me anyway, so I wouldn't mind.
(well, the load will be the load, I just mean that it might prevent that same heavier load for any drive used, but that depends on how the system is designed. I'm not sure it would be like that and would even find it illogical. I would think that each instance of an effect e.g. has a CPU coëficient for power that has to be reserved, not the same number for any effect in that class)

Being a dreamer...
You talked about different block. I wished for a multiband distortion. We wisched for more drive blocks. Join the wishes.

A multiband distortion where you can choose "10 band mono", "5 band stereo", "stereo". Like cab... :ugeek: The stereo has lighter load, 5 band stereo is a scultpuring tools with higher load, and 10 band mono has same CPU load but more innovative sound.

Win-win. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom