Stereo Setup - Help

MikeD

Inspired
Hi all. I have run into an issue with the Reverb Block running the FX8 in stereo. Any suggestions are welcome but also if you have the same experience I would like to know.

I am running two amps from the FX8 each using their own effect send and return. I have set the I/O section of the FX8 to stereo. the pre/post split is 5/3. The effects I mention below are all running post.

Issue 1:
Everything plugged in - Amp 1 on by itself (L) works fine. Amp 2 on by itself (R) works fine. When both amps are on the Reverb block (only block in the preset) coming out of Amp 2 starts sounding like it is wet only and very pronounced (unusable it is so wet). Delay blocks work fine. A pitch block I was using in detune for chorus was jumping the gain on amp 2 when engaged... a firmware refresh has solved that. I am hoping that I have just missed a setting somewhere.

Thanks

Reverb sums to mono at effect input. This means the relative levels of each preamp section's output will affect the reverb mix heard in each cab (and the reverb will be of preamp tones blended, in both cabs). I'm guessing this is causing what you described.

If neither amp has a pre-loop channel output volume control or provides enough range to match levels, you could adjust for a level difference via balance control of a block before reverb.

Thanks Bakerman - I will try the balance.

You are correct in that neither amp is adjustable for efx loop. Decent amps - Badger 35 and a Mesa Mk 5:25 so I would hope that their effect sends would be somewhat 'standard' and close to each other in output level (although that could be a dangerous assumption).

I guess the confusing part is that this imbalance (effect to dry signal) is only with reverb and only the right channel - delay blocks are fine. The amount of reverb out of each amp's cabinet is very different. Badger (left in FX8) reverb sounds blended at about 10% whereas the reverb out of the Mesa (right ch in FX8) sounds like it is set to 95%.

Really appreciate your input and I will try the balance.

At this point I would just like to prove that the FX8 is working properly and this imbalance is due to operator error or incompatibility between the two amps.

Back
Top Bottom