STEREO RYTHM TRACKS

FunkyFingers

Hi all. New AxeII user here.

I create intrumental music and on most of my tunes the crunchy guitar rythm part is recorded twice. One part hard left , the other hard right in the mix. But what i would like to know if its possible to set the axe so the patch im using comes out in stereo? So i dont have to record it twice?..
Im using FW 9.02 so im not using the Axe edit.

You can use the "enhancer" block at the end of your chain to give the track stereo width. That, however, will not be a substitute for recording it twice.

I very much prefer playing the part twice (sometimes 4x even) and panning the mono tracks for crunchy rhythm guitars. Keep 'em tight and it sounds much more natural and alive than trying to stereo enhance a single track. The only time I record something from the Axe-FX in stereo is for lead tracks and the occasional track where I use stereo effects from the Axe-FX (generally more ambient stuff).

Thanks for the reply guys:)

I had a strange feeling the only way and probley the best way is to record it twice. But what does my head about doing it that way, is that you have to be so precise and accurate when i record the second guitar track which has to be exactly the same as the first guitar track!. and many times i've got near the end of the song recording the second guitar track and i've made a boo boo!.. so i have to start again:( It bloody hurts:-x

Thats why i thought maybe theres a way of just recording it once, but with that stereo width you get from playing it twice. I've even took the single guitar track and copied to an empty track then panned them both, but they stilled stayed mono!!!. But i do know why that is now, as they have identical wavelenths?? But i will try that "enhancer" trick just to see what it sounds like.

Just record it twice. the more you do it , the better you'll get at it. Even better record the 2nd time but with a different guitar. Same patch on AX fx 2

Recording multiple times has that sound because it ISN'T exactly the same. Small variations in timing and pitch of each recording thickens it up rather than simply copy/pasting the track and panning each one.

Well i think im showing my lazy side by just trying to get the song done quicker!! I really only get the evenings to do any recording or practicing, and then im tired due to work!!,arrrr!
Maybe one day i'll be able to sell my songs and give up my day job.. Work gets in the way of creativity!!..And i dont get much time at the weekends due to stuff i've gotta do that i cant do in the week!
Cant win:( its mad!!

I haven't tried the enhancer myself but if it's similar to any other stereo widening tool, you can run into problems when listening in mono. Definitely no substitute for recording the part twice.

Instead of recording each part as a single take, why not do it in sections? That way when you make mistakes you're not starting from the beginning of the song each time. Just use a small crossfade where each part overlaps to mask the change between parts.

Another trick I use when in a hurry is if you have a long rhythm part that is just a repeating patern, record it once, cut it in half, and place the second part underneath the first part on the second guitar track, and copy/paste both parts next to eachother. Bam! Instant double track - as long as your playing is tight enough :)

Back
Top Bottom