Stereo routing question

merlin17

Power User
Hi!

I'm using Out1 for connecting to my ART SLA-2 and guitar cabs.
Out 2 is the PA feed.
I want to use two HiRes Cab blocks for the PA feed, but I seem to be not able to get there in stereo (it sounds mono summed to me).
When I'm using a stereo Cab block it IS stereo.
How do I route the signal in stereo to the two cab blocks?
It seems a stereo signal automatically gets summed to mono when routed into a mono cab block...

My path is mostly: pre fx, Amp, post fx -> Out 1 and from post fx also to the cab and the FX loop block.

Thanx!

To get stereo, you have to pan the two cab blocks (one hard left, and the other hard right). Also, you need to ensure there are no blocks that sum to mono *after* the effect blocks that are stereo (otherwise, they would turn the signal chain to mono).

Yes, I did that, but it seems the input of the mono cab block sums the stereo signal automatically.
There has to be a way to split the stereo signal into L and R before the Cab blocks...

merlin17 said:
Yes, I did that, but it seems the input of the mono cab block sums the stereo signal automatically.
There has to be a way to split the stereo signal into L and R before the Cab blocks...
Are you saying you have these two blocks in the same row, feeding into one another? If you have the two cab blocks on two different rows, and panned hard left and hard right, their summing to mono won't affect anything but their own signal chain.

So:

[amp]---[cab1]---[shunt]---
.........\
...........\[cab2]---[shunt]---

... will work in stereo. An alternative is to use a single cab block, set to stereo, and pan the two sides hard left and hard right.

It's a problem with stereo effects sounding in stereo, correct? You'll need to place an extra block (vol/pan, mixer, filter would all work & use little CPU%) before each cab with balance set to the correct side.

The alternative, of course, is to use a single cab block, set it to stereo, and pan the two sides hard left and hard right. This configuration will retain your stereo signal chain, and will avoid having to use two extra blocks for panning.

Thanks, Bakerman, for pointing out the workaround with two separate mono cabs... I never use two cab blocks, and was under the impression they would behave just like a single stereo cab block.

Yes, but unfortunately the Stereo Cab block is LoRes only at the moment, and I can hear the difference.
A Stereo Cab block with HiRez abilities would be great...

merlin17 said:
Yes, but unfortunately the Stereo Cab block is LoRes only at the moment, and I can hear the difference.
A Stereo Cab block with HiRez abilities would be great...
Gotcha. You have better ears than I do, I can't hear much ifference between lo- and hi-res (too many years behind me, and too many gigs busting my eardrums).

Back
Top Bottom