Stereo Rigs- Real Amps

ATR1

Inspired
I posted this in the FX8 forum but not getting any tread so I should of posted her.

I pulled the trigger and bought another amp this week to make a stereo rig. I now have (2) MB Mark V 90w Combos in stereo with my FX8. Anything I need to watch out for? I was using the KOKO Boost to push the front of amp and would like to push both is this possible with (1) KB? Also are you guys running each amp the same or (1) Wet (1) Dry, (1) clean(1) dirty? I have never used a stereo rig and would like some ideas. Also if anyone owns any suhr pedal can you connect the Fx8 to pedal to turn off & on?
Thx Tony...

Though I'm not running an FX8 or even running tube amps any more but I have had enough experience running stereo and W/D rigs in the past so here's my take!

If it's just the two amps I would lean toward the W/D opposed to stereo and stick with a traditional way of signal routing for that type of setup.

Set up your time based effects as you would normally for the wet amp in mono (in the effects loop) and the drives and LO based for the front end of both. It should yield some monstrous sounds that will keep you playing for hours!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, I have an Axe 2, not an fx8, but here goes. I would say that the most logical way would be to only run the preamp of one amp. You have two of the same amp, so I can't see any benefit to having one be the clean and one the dirty. The signal would go from guitar to in 1, and then out 1 to first combo's front panel, then amp's FX send to in 2, and then get the stereo split from out 2 to the FX returns of both amps. The master volume and presence will be the only working controls on the second amp, but the sound out of each of the combos will be the same and in stereo.

The boost pedal should probably just be copied in the box and pulled. If you can't copy it closely enough, then the only simple option is just to put it in between your guitar and in 1 and switch it manually. The only other option with just that gear is to ditch the 4 cable method and use out 1 as a loop for just the pedal and then run to both amp's front panels from out 2. All of the delays and reverbs would be distorted and it would compromise the big stereo effect that you going to the trouble of trying to achieve.

May be you could explain how JP is running this? I'm scratching my head. GTR>Front of LFT Amp>Loop out LFT Amp to FX8 input>out FX8 L&R send loop to LFT/RT amp loop return?

Go to about the 9:00 point.

The signal chain on this should be a simple 4CM with the exception of the op-1 right channel on the AX8 running to the effects return on the second amp.

Guitar > AX8 in > AX8 op-1 L > L amp input > L amp effects send > AX8 effects in 2 (efx rtn) > AX8 effects out 2 L&R (efx send) > L&R amp effects return.

Setting up the effects in the signal chain is where you can decide to run stereo or wet / dry per preset in the AX8.

What I am hearing him say (9:38) is run the left amp loop send to the input (pre or post?) of AXFX/FX8 then L&R send FX to return on amps. The video shows only one amp input(left) in front is connected. I am not getting any sound when ran this way?

Only one amp input is connected, because he is most likely only using one of the amp's preamp circuit. The other amp is used as a power amp slave. Guitar goes to Axe for for pre-gain effects. FX Send of Axe goes to input of one of the amps and that amps FX send is sent back to the FX return of the Axe. The stereo outputs of the Axe are then send to the FX return of both amps. From the Axe, you can either route the grid as stereo, or wet/dry and pan accordingly to go to the desired amp's power section. Done this way, only the post gain effects will be stereo or split wet/dry, but that is fine because the single preamp section is mono anyway. Generally it's time based effects like reverb and delay that benefit from the separation of wet/dry anyway and those are typically post gain for metal type tones.

Last edited:
He is using the same idea, but he has a tray of pedals in a loop switcher instead of using the Axe in front of the amp. You should ignore his routing for now and just focus on one combo and the 4 cable method plus an additional cable from out 2 to the second amps effects return. This will give you his setup with the gear that you have.

Thanks for your help guys!
Yes I have it setup this way 4CM +1 but my volume dropped way down. Is there internal setting I will need to change? Everything is set to stereo right now.

MKV%20_FX8_Rig%20Connections%20Page%20001_zpsygrnvuex.jpg

Is this what the connections should be? I am being throw off when the guys says to connect left send from left amp to input 1 on Axefx. see diagram.

Yeah that looks right. Axe FX II has Input 2 and Output 2 instead of In Post and Out Pre respectively so the wording gets confusing.

Since you are only using one amp's preamp section, your pre-gain effects should be mono. Set Output 1 Pre and Input 2 Post to Left Only mode and make sure you are using the Left jacks for Out Pre and In Post. Set Output 2 Post to Stereo mode since that output (L and R) goes to the two separate amps. If you have Input 2 Post set to Stereo, your post effects are only getting input to the left channel since there's nothing plugged into the right jack for In Post.

Don't forget to set your Pre/Post options accordingly so you can put blocks in front of and in the loop of your amps. 2/6, 3/5, 4/4, or whatever.

Last edited:
Set Output 1 Pre to L+R=SUM or COPY L>R ? NO left only.
Thx.

Last edited:
Thx for the help all. I have it up and running now.
I placed my KOKO Boost(I have not figured out how to copy this pedal with one in unit yet) in front of amp. I like to run a 4x4 in config. Sounds great. Will I have issues playing this setup with other guitar players? Please enlighten me on why this routing(slave type) is preferred over just running both amps in stereo? (using both loops and fronts of amp)

Thx for the help all. I have it up and running now.
I placed my KOKO Boost(I have not figured out how to copy this pedal with one in unit yet) in front of amp. I like to run a 4x4 in config. Sounds great. Will I have issues playing this setup with other guitar players? Please enlighten me on why this routing(slave type) is preferred over just running both amps in stereo? (using both loops and fronts of amp)

Having issues playing with other guitar players is always a potential. Working together with another guitar and amp is something that can take some time to work on sometimes it can be real easy and sometimes it's not. Having a stereo or W/D rig doesn't mean it will be any easier or harder to mix with another player.

With the routing options of the FAS products you really don't need to convolute signal paths in the way you are thinking. The old school way of running a bunch of effects into two separate amps can create their own set of problems. Letting the AX8 handle all of the work is much simpler to deal with once you get your head around it.

Personally for ease and simplicity I would have just made a powered guitar cab with your favorite speaker and been done with it. Though you do have redundancy with two of the same amp, it does present extra cost and maintenance which is always fun :D

Having issues playing with other guitar players is always a potential. Working together with another guitar and amp is something that can take some time to work on sometimes it can be real easy and sometimes it's not. Having a stereo or W/D rig doesn't mean it will be any easier or harder to mix with another player.

With the routing options of the FAS products you really don't need to convolute signal paths in the way you are thinking. The old school way of running a bunch of effects into two separate amps can create their own set of problems. Letting the AX8 handle all of the work is much simpler to deal with once you get your head around it.

Personally for ease and simplicity I would have just made a powered guitar cab with your favorite speaker and been done with it. Though you do have redundancy with two of the same amp, it does present extra cost and maintenance which is always fun :D

There is only one problem. I have an FX8..

The other amp you have should be running as a slave meaning your not using the preamp just the power amp and speaker, no?.

I am now trying this with my setup and I have to tell you it does sound good. "MAD & PISSED"

Back
Top Bottom