Stereo reverb?

karmar

Inspired
Is there such a thing as stereo reverb that gives a more realistic room-like reverb?? I am trying to decide whether it would be worth the hassle to go stereo... What other effects are there that sound good in stereo?

Ah Thanks for that suggestion! I read about the Cab Block reverb in the Fractal Wiki site and my understanding is that it is used to recreate the floor reflection from a cabinet on a wood floor. I always hate to play in places where there is carpeting because my amp sounds so dead So, even without stereo, we can use the AxeFX to simulate having a reflecting wood floor when we have carpeting. I will try it out!!! With stereo amps, I can physically move the floor reflection to the second amp to recreate that physical separation that would exist in real life. (my 'problem' is that my music room has wood floors - so I cant really get the most effect till I go play somewhere else!) I will also try just putting a 100% reverb wet signal to the second amp and see what that sounds like.

My original idea was to have a reverb that really gave the spatial sense that real reverb has. I played once in a really fantastic acoustically designed classical music concert hall and was just amazed by the rich reverb it gave. It wasn't just a great sounding hall reverb (like we have on the FX3) - there was a 3 dimensional sense that the reverb was washing all around. I suppose you get the same spatial effect in a gymnasium but there you get the spatial sense with a muddy reverb. If there was a stereo reverb effect that could duplicate the spatial reverb 3 dimensional feeling it would be worth the price of an FX3 just for that one effect! Maybe something for the wish list...

Reverbs are almost always stereo.
On the FAS Wiki for the REVERB block it says "The "wet" signal (the signal that gets reverberated) is summed to mono." So, my understanding from that quote is that our reverbs are all mono even though the dry signals R and L retain their stereo identity.

I wonder why FAS doesn't do a stereo reverb?? Would it take too much processing power to calculate the phase, delay, EQ damping and decay level for all the reflections in stereo?

(That said, we can still do what YEK suggested and pan the 100% wet reverb signal to one side and get sort of a stereo effect to the reverb that way.)

On the FAS Wiki for the REVERB block it says "The "wet" signal (the signal that gets reverberated) is summed to mono." So, my understanding from that quote is that our reverbs are all mono even though the dry signals R and L retain their stereo identity.

I wonder why FAS doesn't do a stereo reverb?? Would it take too much processing power to calculate the phase, delay, EQ damping and decay level for all the reflections in stereo?

(That said, we can still do what YEK suggested and pan the 100% wet reverb signal to one side and get sort of a stereo effect to the reverb that way.)
The reverb effect itself is mono in/stereo out.

The input of the effect is summed to mono but the output is stereo.
If you want stereo in/stereo out just use 2 reverb blocks with input select set to left only/right only

The input of the effect is summed to mono but the output is stereo.
If you want stereo in/stereo out just use 2 reverb blocks with input select set to left only/right only

Thank you DLC86! So what you are saying is that the reverbs ARE truly stereo effects, but with the caveat that they all work on a summed mono input (otherwise, each of the FAS reverbs would take up twice the processing power). THIS COULD BE GOOD! So, if for example, I had a stereo chorus earlier in the chain and I wanted each side of my chorused stereo image to likewise "be reverberated" in stereo, I would need two separate reverb blocks.... Not a big limitation for the FX3 that has plenty of spare processing power... I will give it a try! (If only I had a users group like this for all the Windows computer problems I end up dealing with!!!)

Last edited:
Thank you DLC86! So what you are saying is that the reverbs ARE truly stereo effects, but with the caveat that they all work on a summed mono input (otherwise, each of the FAS reverbs would take up twice the processing power). THIS COULD BE GOOD! So, if for example, I had a stereo chorus earlier in the chain and I wanted each side of my chorused stereo image to likewise "be reverberated" in stereo, I would need two separate reverb blocks.... Not a big limitation for the FX3 that has plenty of spare processing power... I will give it a try! (If only I had a users group like this for all the Windows computer problems I end up dealing with!!!)
Yes (except spring reverbs)

I might suggest using two slightly different but complementary IR's. The right pair panned L/R gives a little bit more depth to the soundfield to my ears; not so focused straight down the middle and a little diffuse in general. That combined with a subtle, short decay reverb (15-20% mix, 1.25 seconds or lower decay) has worked well for me when I don't want my guitar right in my face straight up the middle.

Back
Top Bottom