Stereo Phase Correction in the Axe?

claxor

Power User
When I'm running the stereo outs into my matrix power amp and two FRFR cabs, I notice that the level of one speaker is lower than the other. I've been told that this may be a phase issue. Is there any thing I can do to switch the phase on one side in the Axe?

Thanks!

On my Matrix GT1000fx, the L/R knobs are not calibrated exacly the same - one side needs to be turned up a bit more to produce the same volume. Drove me nuts for a while - I measured / tested into the same speaker + swapping speakers to confirm. The discrepancy seems to decrease the higher up they are set. I've gotten used to how much more to set one side - no biggy.

I had the same issue with sides being slightly un leveled in my Matrix. I just comped for it as mentioned above. Put tape on it and marked each side

Another culprit besides the Matrix would be cables connecting the Axe Fx II to the Matrix.

My band discovered several years ago a number of XLR cables that "worked" but had lower output than others.

It was a similar situation but we were getting everyone connected to our IEM rig in stereo.

Try swapping cables from left to right and see if the problem follows the cables...

Speaker placement can have a lot to do with it. If one speaker is closer to a corner or a wall, it will sound louder than the other one.

Maybe no two speakers are the same? I’ve noticed that some speakers are more or less efficient, and also running through open and closed cabs will make a difference. I’ve also noticed that my Matrix has a discrepancy in volume between channels, but it’s so minor that I’ve always chalked it up to the speakers/enclosures and/or placement.

Maybe no two speakers are the same? I’ve noticed that some speakers are more or less efficient, and also running through open and closed cabs will make a difference. I’ve also noticed that my Matrix has a discrepancy in volume between channels, but it’s so minor that I’ve always chalked it up to the speakers/enclosures and/or placement.
depends how sensative one is to it. I have terrible hearing but am really sensitive to left/right differences - constantly futzing with balance when I can't position myself in the exact middle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom