Stereo Path

Spidouz

Hey,

Please excuse me in advance for my dumb question. I was wondering that if I use an Axe FX3 with two signals coming in In 2L & 2R, can I have a stereo path where I would have a different amp block, cab block for 2L and another one for 2R and then use the Out 2L & 2R?

I understand from what I read so far that there’s a vol pan block, but can we split a stereo signal into 2 different path?

I’m trying to figure out how I could exploit the Axe FX3 in my dream rig :)

Thanks

PS: Can we use the Axe Editor on Mac without the hardware, to build presets and check the kind of audio routing I could do?

If I select input 2 (L&R) and then put a Volume block with a pan to L to distortion, amp, cab, etc… can I still have a second Volume block on a different path to have the 2R for a different treatment like Delay, Reverb, different Amp, Cab, etc…?

I know we can do it with different Inputs, but not sure with the “same” input 2 (L&R). Or can we just select 2L for one path, and select input 2R for another path?

Sorry for the bad English, not sure it really express what I try to do… also I’m a noob when it comes to Fractal, sorry ;)

A volume block with the input set to left or right on each path will do it. The amp block also lets you select left or right input.
Do you put a little vegamite on each slice of bread, and put them together, or do you just put it on one slice?

Hey,

Please excuse me in advance for my dumb question. I was wondering that if I use an Axe FX3 with two signals coming in In 2L & 2R, can I have a stereo path where I would have a different amp block, cab block for 2L and another one for 2R and then use the Out 2L & 2R?

I understand from what I read so far that there’s a vol pan block, but can we split a stereo signal into 2 different path?

I’m trying to figure out how I could exploit the Axe FX3 in my dream rig :)

Thanks
Generally speaking - yes, you can process 2L and 2R completely independently of each other. There are various ways to do it depending on your goals. Keep in mind that the III has 4 inputs so you have a truly remarkable universe of routing possibilities.

Section 4 in the manual has many different examples of setting up the system. P. 32 might help explain and give you additional ideas.

vol pan block, but can we split a stereo signal into 2 different path?
You don't need a volume/pan block for this. All paths/shunts on AxeFX can carry 2 channels, they can be dual mono or stereo. Note that some blocks are mono only, like drives and amps, so you can set their inputs to 1) sum the L+R channels, 2) left only, or 3) right only.

two signals coming in In 2L & 2R
Just add the Input 2 block to your grid, make sure it's set to stereo in the I/O settings.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 092245.png

can I have a stereo path where I would have a different amp block, cab block for 2L and another one for 2R and then use the Out 2L & 2R?
Add 2 amp blocks in parallel, set the input of amp one to "left" and set its balance to 100% left, set the input of amp two to "right" and set its balance to 100% right.

On AxeFX III the cab block can load 4 IRs so the way I set it up for stereo amps is set the cab block's input to stereo, use IR slots 1+3 for the left amp (hard panned left), and IR slots 2+4 for the right amp (hard panned right).

If you're playing live with IEMs or at home with headphones or studio monitors, try adding the Enhancer block at the end of your preset. Really widens the stereo image, making a lot more space down the middle for the other instruments. I use the Classic mode at 50% width.

Can we use the Axe Editor on Mac without the hardware, to build presets and check the kind of audio routing I could do?
no

Keep in mind that the III has 4 inputs so you have a truly remarkable universe of routing possibilities.
Yes, but I already plan to use all other inputs for something else, also with dual mono treatment... (I know, it sounds crazy, but that's kind of huge studio rig I'm building with 4 tube amps, 2 analog pedalboard and the Fractal).

The idea is really to exploit all I/O of the Fractal to also use it as audio interface aggregate to record both dry, wet with and without IR Cab. To do so, I really need a way to treat Left side separately from the Right side on both Ins 2, 3 and 4.

@strabes beat me to it. This is exactly how I run a stereo pedalboard in front of the Axe III.

Just FYI... I've not had good experiences running two cab blocks after several tries. Because IR's 1 & 3 are Left and 2 & 4 are Right, with two cab blocks you can get some phasing issues and it's more trouble than it's worth. Resist the temptation to run 8 IR's, haha!

Yes, but I already plan to use all other inputs for something else, also with dual mono treatment... (I know, it sounds crazy, but that's kind of huge studio rig I'm building with 4 tube amps, 2 analog pedalboard and the Fractal).

The idea is really to exploit all I/O of the Fractal to also use it as audio interface aggregate to record both dry, wet with and without IR Cab. To do so, I really need a way to treat Left side separately from the Right side on both Ins 2, 3 and 4.

I love these mad-scientist use cases, given that I only ever use the instrument IN and OUTPUT 1. Hearing about how others use this amazing gizmo to do stuff I never considered is one of my favorite parts of this forum. Please keep us informed on your experience.

I love these mad-scientist use cases, given that I only ever use the instrument IN and OUTPUT 1. Hearing about how others use this amazing gizmo to do stuff I never considered is one of my favorite parts of this forum. Please keep us informed on your experience.
Yeah, when quickly described on internet, it sounds like a crazy thing, but when we look in detail each part, it’s just logical. I’m not doing concert, I never move, I’m mainly doing a big studio rig. The whole purpose is to have everything connected and ready to be used with the maximum flexibility. So yeah, it sounds crazy to say I will use all I/O, have multiple amps and cabs, and then modelers with FRFR too, etc… some would think it’s overkill, and in normal conditions, they would be right. But in reality I won’t use everything at once. It will just be available. Since it’s a huge (expensive) project, I prefer to make plan and verify twice that I can do what I want with each gear to not have any surprise later when I’m purchasing the missing pieces. In the end, I will have a Pedalboard with MIDI controlled pedals only, so I can have presets to recall routing and settings on the fly. With switchers to select up to 4 amps (Black Widow, Two-Rock Studio Signature, Hook Wizard and Diezel VHX). In parallel I will have the Fractal Axe FX3, that can also be used for Pre or Post FX, as well as having IR Cab for the 4 amps (being connected either directly with Direct Line Out, or through an UA Ox). So the Fractal could be use for either Pre FX, Preamp, Post FX, Amp and/or IR Cab… depending where I decide to use it in the signal path. The Tube Amps will send their Line Out to the Fractal, so they can receive Wet effects, and use the Tube amps for Dry Clean and Dirty sounds, while using the Modelers for Wet… making a Wet/Clean/Dirty/Wet rig. But at any given time, I could easily split the signal into two rigs for 2 guitarist and each guitarist will still have 2 tube amps for Wet/Dry or Clean/Dirty rig, and they can still have Wet effect from the Pedals and Modelers.

I know it sounds crazy, and the diagram is even more crazy… but the goal is really to have all the gear usable at any given time. If someone wants just to use the Fractal, they could and they will have 2 FRFR Cabs for that. If someone just want analog pedals with tube amps, then I will just select another Presets and it will be ready. Everything will be quickly accessible. And to do some sounds search, it will be cool to mix digital & analog. If you want to loose your hair and your mind, you can look at the attached diagram of my “TURD” (yeah, I know, named on purpose that way, LOL).

C72EE1DB-163D-4800-AB6B-6122DBD0F214.jpeg

Blue lines: mono Send/Return
Yellow lines: stereo Send/Return
Red: Speaker
Pink: Line signal
Grey dotted: USB

There’s 2 Delay, 2 Reverb, 2 Modulation, and 2 Multi-FX pedals because it could be use for either 1 big rig, or 2 rig (left/right in the diagram). One rig with the Black Widow and Two-Rock, and the other rig with the Hook and Diezel. That’s also why there’s the Helix and the Axe FX3. So don’t think like I will always use everything at once, that’s absolutely not the purpose… that would be crazy. The purpose is to have everything accessible to save time in studio and not have to unplug/plug anything. Just use the GigRig to recall Program Change on all MIDI pedals and Axe/Helix as well as the Switchblade switcher… so all routing will be done in a heartbeat. I hope it makes sense.

It’s still a work in progress, so I’m trying to see if there’s any issue in my gear choice, and also I need to do with the gear and amps I already have. Also, that’s something I will slowly purchase over the next 5 years. I just want to be sure to purchase the right gear so I won’t have to sell something to buy something else, etc… I prefer to invest in the right gear right away. It’s generally more expensive, but at least I know I won’t have to think about it later.

So as you can see on the diagram, I will have a stereo send/return from the post-amp switcher (Switchblade), the idea is to be able to send 1 or 2 amps to the Fractal for Wet effects, but also use the Fractal Preamps into the Amps Loop return to use them as power amp. Also, using the Fractal as an aggregate audio interface, so I could record the Dry signal from the Input and the Wet processed signal from the Outs. Both the Hook and Diezel have a Line out with cab emulation or cab bypass. So I could decide to use the Cab Bypass to have the Amp dry tone in the Fractal and use the IR Cab in the Fractal (or on the computer). So when I record, I can record both dry and cab tracks in the same time and decide later which cab, which mic, which placement I want to use… during the mix.

Sorry about the long post, but you said you liked to learn how other do, it’s then the perfect occasion to present my idea… I know a lot of people will find that ugly (hint the TURD reference), maybe useless ,etc… and as said, if it would be to play in a band, on stage, etc… that would be absolutely true. In that case, I would use a very basic setup. But here, it’s really just a studio rig that won’t move and will always stay connected, with everything in a rack with custom made cables to go from the pedalboard to the rack, from the rack to the amps & cabs, etc…

Also, I need to mention that I plan to purchase the Axe FX3 in around 2 years (from my schedule for the priority of purchase). So I still have time to study it and figure out if there’s no mistake or errors and my plan (like thinking I could do something and it wouldn’t be possible). I don’t think I’m gonna change my mind about the gear. I pretty much know I want the Axe FX3. I thought about the FM9, but I need the extra Inputs and IR Cab block. And I will have everything else in a rack (Helix, Black Widow, Post Pedals, Switcher, Cab Selector, etc…). The price is quite hefty, but as said, I don’t mind to save a little bit longer if I know I will get the right gear. And I also know that I could use the Axe FX3 alone, without any pedal, any amp, etc… and still have two rig with multiple amps and cabs, all done in the Fractal. I’m not pro Analog/Tube, or Pro Digital, I like both and like to use both. I hope it makes sense and will explain a little bit where I come from with this layout.

Last edited:
@strabes beat me to it. This is exactly how I run a stereo pedalboard in front of the Axe III.

Just FYI... I've not had good experiences running two cab blocks after several tries. Because IR's 1 & 3 are Left and 2 & 4 are Right, with two cab blocks you can get some phasing issues and it's more trouble than it's worth. Resist the temptation to run 8 IR's, haha!

IIRC 1+3 and 2+4 are only hard panned when you set the input of the cab block to stereo. If you set it to mono I think you should be able to add 4 on each cab block, set them all centered, and hard pan the 2 cab blocks. Plane about to take off so I can’t double check this but I’m pretty sure that’s how it works.

Last edited:
IIRC 1+3 and 2+4 being hard panned is only when you set the input of the cab block to stereo. If you set it to mono I think you should be able to add 4 on each cab block, set them all centered, and hard pan the 2 cab blocks. Plane about to take off so I can’t double check this but I’m pretty sure that’s possible.
Holy smokes, never thought of that! I'm definitely trying this tomorrow, so I'll let you know!

EDIT: I think I actually tried that but trying it again now.

EDIT: Dude, that worked! I had tried it panning each IR, but not setting them center and using the master pan in the cab block! Thanks bro!

Last edited:
The input mode does not affect the panning of the individual cabs at the block output. It only determines which tracks feed the block and cabs. If you want to maintain stereo separation through the block, you have to select Stereo input mode AND hard pan each cab accordingly with cabs 1 and 3 hard left (-100) and cabs 2 and 4 hard right (100). If you pan the cabs anywhere but hard left or hard right, you will get mixing of the two input channels and potential phase issues.

In any of the other 3 input modes, all 4 cabs are fed the same signal so you can pan them however you want. Sum L+R obviously can cause the same phase issues since it's combining both tracks together.

The input mode does not affect the panning of the individual cabs at the block output. It only determines which tracks feed the block and cabs. If you want to maintain stereo separation through the block, you have to select Stereo input mode AND hard pan each cab accordingly with cabs 1 and 3 hard left (-100) and cabs 2 and 4 hard right (100). If you pan the cabs anywhere but hard left or hard right, you will get mixing of the two input channels and potential phase issues.

In any of the other 3 input modes, all 4 cabs are fed the same signal so you can pan them however you want. Sum L+R obviously can cause the same phase issues since it's combining both tracks together.
This is what I meant, but didn't say very well. Great explanation. 3 years in, and I'm still learning!

I get tangled up in the cables (even if they are virtual) just reading some of it.

Back
Top Bottom