Stereo Output from the AX8

Davey Lee

I am looking to buy an AX8 and it will be my first fractal experience. I know that there is no dual amp capability but I want to know what the stereo effect capabilities are. I am used to using 2 stage amps to widen my sound with stereo delays and reverbs etc. and can't really find much chat about the stereo outputs from the Ax8. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There are stereo Delays, Reverbs, Phasers, Flangers, Chorus's, and even a stereo Cab block. All of which can be routed in any order, in parallel or series.

Just make sure you put your stereo effects AFTER the AMP block. They won't output in stereo if placed before the amp block.

And if you're using a Cab block, it too must be setup in stereo, if the effects are placed before that block.

So guys, I'm having a tough time to listen the stereo sound. I was told that running the AX8 Edit stand alone wouldn't fit, just by using through some DAW. I have a 1st gen Focusrite 2i2 with no pan options. So what do you guys suggest me to do? Do I need any particular configuration to run it through a DAW? Like a VST?

The 2i2 doesn’t offer direct stereo monitoring, so you would simply need to use any kind of DAW that will do stereo. I use logic. Garage band works as well. You don’t need anything additional, just set a track to inputs 1&2 on the DAW and it should send the stereo signal back out through the 2i2.

This. You may have to turn off direct monitoring on your 2i2 and monitor thru Logic or Garage Band, which is no biggie. I prefer to have direct monitoring ON but I run into not getting my mix to my ears' liking when tracking. Like I need more drums or cowbell and the guitar is too loud. I haven't found a way to control this when direct monitoring thru the 2i2 other than turn down the AX8 outputs or the 2i2 inputs, which messes with my gain staging.

Was busy and couldn't play/practice as much as I wanted but I'm back.
Well I'm having trouble to connect AX8 to my DAW (I'm using Cubase).
My rig setup is AX8 > Focusrite 2i2 > Yamaha monitors

Should I create a double mono track in Cubase? How to run AX8 inside of it? Can you guys help me with the setup so I get play with the stero?

Ty again =)

I am looking to buy an AX8 and it will be my first fractal experience. I know that there is no dual amp capability but I want to know what the stereo effect capabilities are. I am used to using 2 stage amps to widen my sound with stereo delays and reverbs etc. and can't really find much chat about the stereo outputs from the Ax8. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Using 2 physical amps gives you the left and right needed for stereo, compared to a single amp. It’s really the 2 speakers that accomplish this, not the “amp” part.

The AX8 has a left and right output so you don't need 2 physical amps to accomplish that.

2 amps alone aren’t really “stereo” anyway if they are exactly the same. It’s effects and panned content that creates a stereo sound, which the AX8 effects can do of course.

Does anyone have an actual video or steps they can share of how to create this stereo setup? Nothing on Youtube that I can find. I'm new to the digital space but am learning. I have 2 Headrush speakers that I'm running with my AX8. I have cab set at stereo and am playing with delay blocks after the cab but don't get that stereo effect - just the same output coming from both speakers. I have a feeling it's one or two boxes I haven't "checked" to get the outputs to not be the same. Thanks!

Does anyone have an actual video or steps they can share of how to create this stereo setup? Nothing on Youtube that I can find. I'm new to the digital space but am learning. I have 2 Headrush speakers that I'm running with my AX8. I have cab set at stereo and am playing with delay blocks after the cab but don't get that stereo effect - just the same output coming from both speakers. I have a feeling it's one or two boxes I haven't "checked" to get the outputs to not be the same. Thanks!
Post a preset and maybe we can see whAts up, But check all the places in the preset where are panning options like the stereo cab block , delay blocks to make sure they’re fully panned and everything is set to stereo

Thanks, @bradlake will take a look. Just confirming the actual XLR cables should be both coming out of the AX8 and each going into each input of the speakers, and I'm not missing something there. I also thought I read somewhere about needing to adjust/edit global settings to make the signal out - not a duplicate (for lack of a better word) of each other coming out of both speakers. #newbie

@Shredderdave Just to be clear.... The Left Output 1 XLR should go to the XLR input of one powered monitor, and the Right Output 1 XLR should go to the XLR input of the other powered monitor.

A 'Stereo' cab block is not really necessary in most cases, unless you have some stereo effects before the cab block, or want/need a particular cab IR in one side and another IR in the other side. Make sure to pan the IRs hard Left and Right.

Output 1 (and/or 2?) needs to be set to stereo (default). You need to use stereo effects, Stereo Chorus models, Stereo Flanger models, Stereo Delay models, Stereo Reverb models (spring type is mono), etc.... After Amp and (mono) Cab block

Thanks, @bradlake will take a look. Just confirming the actual XLR cables should be both coming out of the AX8 and each going into each input of the speakers, and I'm not missing something there. I also thought I read somewhere about needing to adjust/edit global settings to make the signal out - not a duplicate (for lack of a better word) of each other coming out of both speakers. #newbie
yes, a stereo signal is 2 lines of audio. so 2 XLR cables should be used, one to each speaker separately. the preset also has to be making a stereo sound. amps are mono, so if you just run an amp and cab all in mono to 2 speakers, the sound would be the same because the left side of the AX8 signal isn't any different than the right only because nothing in the preset is making it stereo.

Thanks everyone, for your input. I think I’ll skip work today and play with my AX8. Lol. JK. Love this forum - quality musicians!

yes, a stereo signal is 2 lines of audio. so 2 XLR cables should be used, one to each speaker separately. the preset also has to be making a stereo sound. amps are mono, so if you just run an amp and cab all in mono to 2 speakers, the sound would be the same because the left side of the AX8 signal isn't any different than the right only because nothing in the preset is making it stereo.
Still not getting the stereo sound. Both speakers are outputting the same, exact signal (sound). Sure the delay is working but it's not that "surrounding 3D stereo" sound that I'm looking for. attached pics of my screens. Someone said "output 1 and 2 need to be set to stereo" HUH? Looking at my output settings there's no place to designate that (see image). Also - "mono cab" vs "stereo cab"? no difference. I'm using stereo delay settings but that's just giving me a regular delay sound. Patience.....right?

Attachments

• IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom