Stereo - one FRFR, one guitar cab

Hey folks, currently I have a guitar cab (which I power through a Matrix GT1000) and an Atomic CLR.
I was wondering if it's possible to have stereo effects (like delays) using these two as the sound output.
The main complication is that I need the Atomic CLR to be fed through a cab sim, while the guitar cab obviously cannot. Splitting them as Output1/Output2 is fine and works, but that behaves like 2 separate mono outputs, not as a single stereo output.
I mainly want to use this in my home studio. Of course I can buy another FRFR cab or a guitar cab but I'm hoping I don't have to.

Wondering if it's possible to get a single stereo output in my configuration.. Thanks!
Apologies if this question has been asked in the past, but a quick search didn't yield answers.

You can. Just route the signal with CAB to one output (e.g: Left) and the signal without CAB to other output (e.g.: Right).

YES! Thanks, Piing. I used the option of using a CAB block with panned IRs - so simple!
OMG, I'm loving this stereo configuration. In case others find it useful - you also need to do the following:
- Set the CAB block to 'Input Mode - Stereo' (I know, sounds obvious, but took me a few minutes to figure that out)
- Make sure the Output mode in the Axe Settings is Stereo

2 separate mono outputs, with unique program material, often sounds better than the typical "stereo" output which is an effected output on one channel and a dry through on another.

Play around with it, try having one delay time sent to one cab, and then another delay time sent to your FRFR, or add some modulation to one of the signal paths as well, etc, can be really cool.

Even cooler is a wet/dry type rig using a mono dry and then true stereo left and right wet. Classic stereo is fine and good, but its popular just because it was a bit more practical and easier to run in the hardware days. With the Axe grid we can split signals lots of ways and do some really cooler stuff

2 separate mono outputs, with unique program material, often sounds better than the typical "stereo" output which is an effected output on one channel and a dry through on another.

Play around with it, try having one delay time sent to one cab, and then another delay time sent to your FRFR, or add some modulation to one of the signal paths as well, etc, can be really cool.

Even cooler is a wet/dry type rig using a mono dry and then true stereo left and right wet. Classic stereo is fine and good, but its popular just because it was a bit more practical and easier to run in the hardware days. With the Axe grid we can split signals lots of ways and do some really cooler stuff

I just bought a 2nd DXR 10 and also have Xitone. I was thinking about over-indulging and how I'd run dry to the Xitone and split the wet to the two Yamaha's. This of course would be home rig but I imagine the sound would be HUGE and pretty inspiring. Would I use two cab blocks? One set stereo to receive the wet and one mono for the core dry tone?

I just bought a 2nd DXR 10 and also have Xitone. I was thinking about over-indulging and how I'd run dry to the Xitone and split the wet to the two Yamaha's. This of course would be home rig but I imagine the sound would be HUGE and pretty inspiring. Would I use two cab blocks? One set stereo to receive the wet and one mono for the core dry tone?

Depends what your after really. That is how I typically run my home setup. I run a second stereo output with things like rotary speaker to a stereo cabinet and then dry to another CLR. Sometimes I’ll do a big wet reverb, chorus wet etc too. Does sound really cool having sound coming from different sources, hearing a dry guitar central then delays bouncing around the room etc.

Only practical at home really, but it’s really fun to play with

'What I'm after'.. not sure. I guess, I wanted to see what the wet/dry/wet sound is like in person. In the past I've run into my '73 Marshall and used a THD Hotbox as a load device to run that signal into a Boss DD3 Delay, then take the wet signal (delay only) and run that into a SS 30watt combo amp. I used a volume pedal between the DD3 and the amp to blend the delay to taste. HUGE sound. I would get asked how I get my delay without using an FX loop since the Marshall didn't have one. Something about having the delayed signal coming from its own source that creates a monster tone. And you don't need a 2nd 4x12. The little combo covered it. Of course this was un-mic'd. Otherwise both would need to be mic'd, which is what the 'pros' I guess.

I found a DXR on reverb last night for $350 plus shipping in mint. Fractal user too. Too good of deal to pass up because I was planning on getting a 2nd Xitone or DXR to use for PA in my new mancave that's almost done. I wonder how the TV will sound coming thru it...lol.

I used to run my Axe FX into a Marshall 8008 poweramp into 2 Marshall cabs, with cab sim disengaged. This was for rehearsal only, which meant that if I wanted to direct into FOH I had to create duplicate presets with cab sims engaged. Then I got my Matrix poweramp, which was like 8 kilos lighter or something, which my back obviously liked a lot, and then I discovered that my old presets without cab sim sounded harsh and like crap. Since I had the duplicate presets with cab sim I ran those instead and immediately liked what I heard, it sounded almost exactly like with the Marshall again. So I ran with those ever since and never bothered to create duplicate presets without cab sim.

My setup is always stereo. Either two balanced XLR outs to the FOH, or the two unbalanced outs into the Matrix. The two Marshall cabs have been replaced (as they weren't mine to begin with) with a DIY Palmer FRFR 1x12 cab and an Egnater 1x12 cab. Together they sound quite nice to me, but its only for rehearsal or stage sound. Since you can run both balanced and unbalanced outputs together I see no point in separating between XLR out left and right or unbalanced out left and right.

At home I used to run my Axe II stereo into an Atomic Reactor FR and a DR Reissue (tone set flat). Even with CAB sims on going into both it sounded huge and delicious. The Atomic was a bit thicker/darker while the DR provided some classic Fender punch, brilliance, and spaciousness, especially with Fender, HiWatt, and Vox cleans. Some may gasp at this setup, but it was a hybrid that worked for me.

For the last couple years those amps have been in storage as I've been in a midlife transition and traveling, but I picked up an Axe III during the holiday sale and have been running it with CAB sims into a Fishman Loudbox Mini and a 5W Yamaha practice amp, both set flat. The Fishman feels relatively meaty/punchy while the Yamaha adds dimensional spaciousness, especially on wet tones. Sounds pretty good for noodling at bedroom levels.

Last night I ran the III into a club's Roland JC40 stereo ins and in the mix it sounded good (even if not FRFR). I had previously tried the house PA but it is mounted high near the ceiling and couldn't really hear or feel connected with what I was playing.

Back
Top Bottom