Stereo Inputs - Two Guitars?

slinky005

Power User
If I plug 2 guitars into the rear and use a mixer block and pan L and R, could this be used to plug 2 guitars in the rear?
I would ultimately want 3 plugged in total, two in back, one in front. The two in back would only be used alternately.

It is easier to use 2 volume blocks. place them in the first column on separate rows, set ones input select to left, the other to right.

For a third guitar, you would need to use input 2. Front input and Rear Input L share the same audio channel.

if you're going to be using two at once, make sure one goes to input 1 left and the other goes to input 1 right. you have two input 1 left inputs, so make sure the guitars plugged into those are used alternately.

That's great, thx so much.
So going into L or R as described will not be any different when it goes to subsequent blocks?

if you're going to be using two at once, make sure one goes to input 1 left and the other goes to input 1 right. you have two input 1 left inputs, so make sure the guitars plugged into those are used alternately.
Right, so if I go into 1 L, 1 R and 2 L, this is essentially like having 3 inputs provided I set it up correctly in the grid?
Did I read somewhere that the impedance is different in front and back? Actual input levels are not the same?

i doubt you'll notice a difference. as sean said...use volume blocks at the beginning of every chain to select (using the input select parameter) the left or right input. only signal from that input will them be processed through the chain. you can have two parallel chains processing the left and right inputs separately, or just use the volume block as an automatic input selector. if you use two chains and you want both guitars to exit the axe separately, use the pan pots in the preset mixer page to pan the two rows hard right and left. this will send one guitar to output 1 left and the other to output 1 right.

i doubt you'll notice a difference. as sean said...use volume blocks at the beginning of every chain to select (using the input select parameter) the left or right input. only signal from that input will them be processed through the chain. you can have two parallel chains processing the left and right inputs separately, or just use the volume block as an automatic input selector. if you use two chains and you want both guitars to exit the axe separately, use the pan pots in the preset mixer page to pan the two rows hard right and left. this will send one guitar to output 1 left and the other to output 1 right.
If I do this, will the signal output the Axe hard left and right?
(Not at my studio now).

Last edited:
the output of the axe is always panned hard left and right. it's stereo.
You're right!
Now I have to re-think this.
I guess I should have mentioned that I want to have 3 guitars plugged in , to be use alternately but always in stereo regardless of input.

so just don't pan the rows in the mixer page. job done. you'll understand it better once you actually try it....i think you're making some incorrect assumptions at the moment. if you never need to use more than one guitar at a time, then basically you could just set input 1 to L+R sum and not do anything else. all three inputs will be summed to mono and appear at the centre of the input before entering the grid. if you need to use more than one at a time, then you need to separately process the left and right inputs...which are selected and routed to the grid using the volume blocks. the signals outputting the volume blocks will still be panned centre.

Ok, I'll try it before asking any more redundant questions.
Sounds like it will do what I need.
Thx for all the help.

Make sure you use separate amp blocks for the left and right inputs. The amp block sums the inputs and processes in mono. Have to use two separate amp blocks to stay true stereo.

Make sure you use separate amp blocks for the left and right inputs. The amp block sums the inputs and processes in mono. Have to use two separate amp blocks to stay true stereo.
I only need the efx in stereo.
And my L and R would only be used one or the other. Never at the same time.

At work, but thx for the offer.
My gear has been at rehearsal so I havn't had a chance to try this out.
Will definitely pop in if I have issues.

so just don't pan the rows in the mixer page. job done. you'll understand it better once you actually try it....i think you're making some incorrect assumptions at the moment. if you never need to use more than one guitar at a time, then basically you could just set input 1 to L+R sum and not do anything else. all three inputs will be summed to mono and appear at the centre of the input before entering the grid. if you need to use more than one at a time, then you need to separately process the left and right inputs...which are selected and routed to the grid using the volume blocks. the signals outputting the volume blocks will still be panned centre.
So I played around with Rear Inputs L and R
It seems there's 3db more level with "left only" selected.
Right now I have all my patches setup for left only so I guess I could compensate by boosting 3db if I select sum RL or Stereo.
Maybe it's an inverse of the 3 db rule?

Last edited:
Can someone confirm or tell me if there is just a volume difference or sound quality difference (unlikely) when:
You plug into rear in L input and switch from left in to sum or stereo?
I believe it's just a 3db drop.

For anyone who has a multiple guitar live rig setup (one player switching between 3 guitars) - this is how I saved $100 on a splitter:
- Plugged guitar A into front panel
- Plugged guitar B into input 1 L back panel
- Plugged guitar C into input 2 L back panel (this is for my acoustic and uses only 1 patch so it has an Fxloop block at the beginning of the grid. If I need more I would always have the Fxloop on each patch)

The only part of this that is not ideal is that when switching guitars A and B I need to go into the I/O page and change "input 1 left select" from front to back and vice versa.
I would prefer a footswitch for this but I can't justify $100 for for an extra 2 seconds of time.

Back
Top Bottom