Stereo Harmony

andyp13

Power User
Hi, and a belated happy new year to you all.
im using the pitch block set to a harmony (3rds) and would like the ‘main’ guitar panned slightly left and the harmony guitar panned slightly right just to give a little more clarity in my track...but for the life of me I can’t get them panned away from each other...the level 1 pan makes no difference wherever I place it?. The Axe is connected L&R out and I tried a stereo echo and it’s definitely in stereo...but I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong? If anyone could shed some light on it that would be wonderful thanks 👍

The dry signal (unison) will be centered if mix is less than 100%. Try setting mix to 100% with 100% panning and see if you can hear them separated. (I confirmed this works for Dual Chromatic.)

The dry signal (unison) will be centered if mix is less than 100%. Try setting mix to 100% with 100% panning and see if you can hear them separated. (I confirmed this works for Dual Chromatic.)

thanks, I’ll check this out first thing in the morning (finished for the night)..👍

What I said applies if the pitch block is in series. Also beware if you have a mono block after it, it will sum to mono (or pull only right or left channel depending on settings).

If you have the pitch block parallel with a shunt, you will always get 100% dry + whatever level you have the pitch block set to (which should have mix at 100%).

Using a pitch voice at 0 shift for the "dry" signal can work but that will add some latency. This is one example where a dry pan control would be useful.

There's still one way to make the pitch block pan dry & harmony toward opposite sides, with a decreasing limit on how loud the block output can be as pan width increases.

1. Start at 0% mix and use the balance control to pan the dry signal.

2. Set mix to 100% and adjust the pan parameter for voice(s) until they're panned where you want. Since this would be in the opposite direction of the previous balance adjustment, you'll have to adjust pan further than usual to get a certain apparent pan location for the shifted voice.

(Mix could optionally be left around 50% in steps 1 & 2; adjusting it just lets you hear one signal at a time.)

3. Set mix for the desired wet:dry mix. Due to the previous adjustments this will require a higher mix setting than usual. For example 50% would leave harmony quieter than dry.

4. Adjust block level to get the right volume compared to (thru) bypass.

There might not always be a good reason to use this approach, but that's how you'd make the block itself do the balancing without any extra modifiers or parallel paths.

Back
Top Bottom